Monday, April 24, 2006

Entry #15

Entry #15
by Jerilyn Dufresne


I smiled before I even opened the door. The two lights on the table were lit, just as they'd been every night for as long as I could remember.

Mom's theory was that we'd always know how much she loved us by looking at the lights. No matter what, those lights were turned on. And no fancy-schmancy, automatic switch. Without fail, when darkness descended, a human turned those lights on.

It wasn't always Mom who did it. Sometimes she was unavailable, but she always made sure the lights were turned on.

I remember the first time she entrusted the job to me. I was all of 16, and she was taking a trip to visit an old friend and wouldn't be back until late. She must have called me three times to make sure I didn't forget. I didn't. It was too important a task, and I felt so grown up being the "one."

Now, I'm home again. My smile faded as I started up the stairs to sit with my mom who would never again walk down those stairs. My tears were a mixture of sad and happy as I felt the warm glow of those lamps accompany me on my journey upward.

"Mom loves me," I thought as I walked. And I straightened up, smiled, and opened her bedroom door, knowing that in my own home my child was ensuring the lights are lit tonight.

22 comments:

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Jer, very nice! Strong emotion here. =D

Kelly from FM =)

Mom of All Seasons said...

Absolutely lovely, especially the tie between the narrator's past and present lives.

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

Thanks, Kelly and "Mom." I appreciate your comments. Jer

Jeff said...

Beautiful story, Jer. :)

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

Thanks, Jeff. You're a sweetie!

Erik Ivan James said...

A wonderful story. Heart-filling.

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

Thanks so much, Erik.

Anonymous said...

I love the passing on of a tradition.

Anonymous said...

Wow,that was beautiful Jer!

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

Thanks, Jim.

And Kelly (I'll assume you're my niece Kelly K.), I love your opinion. :) Aunt Jer

Anonymous said...

Just wonderful, mom. I love it. Keep it up.

Robin said...

Beautiful!

anne frasier said...

that was beautiful, jer.

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

Rob, I'm so glad you like my writing. Means a lot to me. Love you. Mom

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

Thanks so much robin and anne. You made me smile. Jer

Terri said...

Sweet, sad and emotional. I like :-)

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

Thanks, Terri. And I love your Winged Victory avatar. I took several pictures of it when I was at the Louvre. One of my favorite sculptures. Jer

Lyn said...

A simple, serene, moving story. You have a gentle touch with words. Agree with the above thoughts about past/present perspectives and the well-placed intergenerational theme. An added plus to read some family comments. Affirms the veracity of this scene. Very nice. Lyndon

Anonymous said...

You've drawn a beautiful image of home, family and love. Well done.

Anonymous said...

Jer, I didn't expect the end. I smiled! Also, I was impressed with the "human turned those lights on" line. Such a small thing on any given day, but over time, a huge responsibility. I saw it as a powerful metaphor for expectation.

Tight writing. Very good technical skill.

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

Jason, thanks so much for your comment. You do a really good job of giving us positive reinforcement, keeping us writing. :) Jer

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

Lyndon and Sandra, thanks for your comments. I wrote this one so quickly, and perhaps it was because I do have such a family. Am the oldest of nine kids and with our own children and grandchildren we number 46. Guess I'll never run out of stories. (Yes, we're Catholic, why do you ask?) lol Jer