Monday, July 06, 2009

The End of the Innocence


Happily ever after fails
And we've been poisoned by these fairy tales
Lawyers dwell on small details
Since daddy had to fly
But I know a place where we can go
Still untouched by men
We'll sit and watch the clouds roll by
And the tall grass wave in the wind
     --Bruce Hornsby, The End of the Innocence


I sang to myself one day
flying over a mountain
drunk on pollen flung from yellow fields
brighter than a summer had ever seen
But what do I know of innocence?
Sometimes I feel like
I can reach back through
cycles of cold seasons
and speak to him
Or maybe he's the one
who still speaks
he knew so much more than me
I'm still flying over that mountain
because I refuse to turn around
when I most certainly have turned around
to be and not to be
that is the question
but I was once the questioner
now I'm just going
to leap the ridge of that mountain
not caring what lies
on the other side

7 comments:

Shadow said...

that's progress... lemme know what you find.

Mariana Soffer said...

progress there is non, is just a nice song to start the day at.

Aniket Thakkar said...

Sadly, am still a questioner. But I would love to able to take that leap of faith.

May be soon...

Aine said...

I'll always remember the end of the innocence for me. It was the summer of '88 (reminds me of another song... :D) And no, it wasn't an event (which I think most would assume). It was a realization that I know too much to ever be innocent again.

I sat and cried. Mourning my loss. Then thought of my blessings and decided to continue the walk.

I've had other moments of loss through the years. Some major, some minor. And it's not always easy to find "him/her" to talk to. But I believe that she is still within. And I need to keep listening...

Anonymous said...

Shadow, I think it's progress. Maybe it's finding something I lost.

Mariana, I can't argue that it's a nice song to lead in the day.

Aniket, my old questions seem more like answers now.

Aine, that was the summer of my graduation from high school. I felt like I was on the cusp of something bigger. And six or seven months later, I was! :)

the walking man said...

Jason...while this I am sure has different depth of meaning to you; personally I am finding myself caught up in the final three lines.

How many times we leap without looking, casting aside the fear of the unknown with just the barest of hope that what we find over the next ridge is something that makes a worthwhile memory or even simply another puzzle piece that fits to further make the picture clearer.

I like this piece very much and I do hope that when you get over to ridge that you find at the very least it was worth the effort to get there.

Be Well.

Adisha said...

It's amazing ... to be able to go to the other side, not sure of what the other side might hold ... but i guess questioning life is the only way to get some answers , maybe ?!