Monday, July 13, 2009

Entry #108

A Good Night's Sleep
by Suzan Isik


As Jake pulled down the covers for me, Jake's face turned a glorious red color, like the wine I'd drank earlier.

"What's the matter, Jake? Never seen a woman without her pants on?"

"Of course," he said, "Just not you. You're usually much better guarded."

I giggled drunkenly, "You want me. I see it."

"I'm a guy. Of course, I do. But it ain't right."

"Why?" I pouted, "You want me. I want you. Come to bed with me."

Jake shook his head, "I can't. We can't." I was drunk, but at least one part of him wanted me so I kissed him. His lips were warm as I gently caressed them with mine. He half-heartedly pushed me away, "Nikki, no." He put me to bed, pulling the comforter up over my body, "You'd totally regret it in the morning,"

"Stay, please." Drinking all that wine had stripped away the armor I'd built over the years. I was an emotional slave. I could deal with mages and shapeshifters. But vampire attacks were so intimate, so violating...

"I don't want to be alone," I said. He sighed, the bed sinking a little as he lay down beside me, very notably on top of the covers.

I gratefully snuggled close to him. His hand rested on my abdomen as he pulled me against his chest. He lifted his head to give me a soft kiss on the cheek, "Go to sleep, Nik."

I happily closed my eyes. Within minutes, I was gone.

12 comments:

JR's Thumbprints said...

Nice way of showing that cloudy judgement can lead to ... gulp ...

Rachel Green said...

I like this. He was a good chap not to take advantage.

Catherine Vibert said...

Gone...so much for her armor.

laughingwolf said...

who can you trust any more?

Aniket Thakkar said...

Now I crave for the back story. Why was he so resistant?

Did he love her too much to see her like this? Or is there some other connection?

The romantic in me see's the guy as a perfect gentleman and the Barney Stinson in me says 'Come on, Bro! You should have gone for it." :D

BernardL said...

Very engrossing dialogue and scene.

PJD said...

She had lost her armor, but was she wearing underarmor?

A gentleman through and through. Or maybe he's just not that into her.

Chris Eldin said...

I thought this was romantic. I really enjoyed your characterizations in this piece!

Anonymous said...

So someone I know was a total womanizer in his teens and 20s, and this situation happened to him, and he still tells with pride that night when he just tucked her in and left her apartment, so that he wouldn't take advantage. I think it was a turning point for this person I know, so I had really wanted to see this story from the guy's point of view.

BUT I like the tantalizing little bits about shapeshifters and vampires - more, please!

Suzan Isik said...

Thank you so much, you guys! I had a lot of fun writing this and reading all the entries!

Jake's definitely one of my favorite characters. What do you do when your drunk best friend throws herself at you? Yeah, it might merit writing the scene from Jake's POV just for fun!

JaneyV said...

I want to know more...

Anonymous said...

All the sweeter because nothing happened. I like this scene. Very well done!

Perfect score.

Welcome to The Forties Club!