Friday, October 14, 2005

Will-o'-the-Wisp, Part 5 (Fiction)

       The glowing orb swelled in its pleasure, and Andy shivered, sharing it. His face sliced the air, and torn ragweed collapsed in his wake. Nothing could oppose him. The roll of the hill lifted him higher and higher toward the heavens.
       Then, he crested. But still the light bobbed in the distance. Behind him, the house fell beneath the lay of the land and disappeared. Too far. Too far. He pounded over the spot where the thing should have been.
       It frolicked farther ahead, so he ran. But no closer. Never closer.
       Abruptly, Andy smashed through the wood line. A branch snapped him sideways. Then, a fallen tree clipped his feet, and he barreled headlong into the moist carpet of leaves. He hit hard and plowed to a grating stop.
       No! Andy howled in his mind. He ripped back the breath the ground punched out of him and snapped up his head. Through the trees, he saw the fading luminescence. Getting away.
       As he clawed and scrambled to get up, his hand hit upon a shoe. A slip-on style shoe. One of Bryn's. Just ahead, the other was stabbed into the dirt like a curious monument.
       Then, he heard the scream.

On to Part 6
Back to Part 4
Just Joining Us? Back to Part 1

Based on the legend of the Will-o'-the-Wisp

8 comments:

anne said...

Who goes running into the grass in slip-ons anyway? Honestly, woman. ;)

Bernita said...

Geesus, Jason.
Don't. Leave. Us. Hanging. Like. That.
Hope you'll put up the rest soon, she said, panting.
That "stabbed into the dirt" shoe image is excellent. So is "he ripped back the breath the ground punched out of him." Not sure of the word "frolicked", but maybe.
This is very good.

Anonymous said...

Anne, I hope it wasn't a fatal mistake!

Benita, I have to confess I find your pain delightful. It means I'm doing my job! :)

Kara Alison said...

So would it be childish if I slept with my head under the covers tonight? I LOVE scary stuff. I have a feeling it's going to get even scarier.

. : A : . said...

Good build up.

Thanks for dropping by my blog and commenting.

Anonymous said...

Thanks .:A:. (do I punctuate after that?) I like your blog. I'll definetly be back.

Anonymous said...

Kara, just wait. It's going to get better!

Chemical Billy said...

Ooh, now I feel smug that I've been away, I don't have to wait for the next chapter...