Wednesday, June 21, 2006
The "Midnight Road" Short Fiction Contest--Information and Rules
Tonight, moonlight and clouds weave, and the road stretches in darkness. I invite you to take a walk with me.
Perhaps you need a creative spark. Perhaps you're itching for a challenge. Perhaps you'd like to meet a friend. All of those things, and a little more, are waiting for you on the Midnight Road.
Using the photograph above for inspiration, compose a short fiction piece of no more than 250 words in any genre or style. Paste your entry into an email and send it to me at jevanswriter at yahoo dot com any time between now and midnight, Wednesday, June 28th (Eastern Standard Time, United States). Each entry will be posted and indexed.
To make things interesting, the following prizes are on the line (and to support the publishing industry!!):
--1st Place, $35 Amazon gift certificate
--2nd Place, $25 Amazon gift certificate
--3rd Place, $15 Amazon gift certificate
--4th Place, $10 Amazon gift certificate
--5th Place, $5 Amazon gift certificate
But this is about more than prizes. I hope you take advantage of the opportunity to meet and interact with your fellow writers. Read and comment on the entries. Teach, and learn, from others. Let's make writing a less lonely process.
At the end of the contest, I will post what I liked most about each entry. Also, if you request it, I would be happy to offer any constructive comments I might have by private email.
Now for the rules:
1. 250 words maximum.
2. Titles are optional, but encouraged. Titles do not count towards your word count.
2. One entry per person.
3. Any genre or style is welcome.
4. All rights remain with you, the author; however, you consent to the posting of your entry on this blog.
5. Judging will be conducted by me on the basis of pacing, entertainment value, technical use of language, storytelling, and voice.
6. Please provide a name for your byline. If you have a website or a blog, I'd be happy to link your name to it. If you don't have a website or blog, feel free to include a short bio. A bio does not count towards your word count.
At the close of the contest, I will announce the date and time for the announcement of winners.
Best of luck to everyone! Spread the word, and above all, have fun!
**UPDATE** The contest is underway!! Click HERE for the index of entries, or go HERE for the top page of the blog.
(Previous contest: The "Two Lights" Short Fiction Contest)
Posted by jason evans at 12:01 AM