Sunday, November 11, 2007

Entry #25

And I Miss Her So
by Contestant


It’s been 3 days since I last heard from her. I knew that keeping myself away from her had been the right thing to do. I wouldn’t be able to face Alfred otherwise. But the more I look at the reddish clouds above, the more I missed her.

Why did we even rekindle this relationship that shouldn’t be? If only Alfred did not need to go away to Connecticut to close that deal, I wouldn’t have to drive over to Claire’s and I wouldn’t have to keep her company and find that we still share something that no one else in the world would be able to understand.

The images of that particular weekend would be forever etched in my mind. How she gently sauntered to my side as I sat beside the fireplace. As she lowered her head slowly to rest on my inner thigh, eyes looking straight into mine, she seemed to be telling me that she too missed the times that we had spend together.

As I gently caress her golden silky hair, her body quivered and she let off a sigh. Immediately, I knew she missed my touch. How could I have decide then that Alfred would be the better person to take good care of her when deep in my heart, I knew that she would have preferred me over him?

Claire had been given to me on our first wedding anniversary and we have been raising her since she was a puppy that was less than 3 months old. Though I had been closer to Claire throughout the last 7 years, I knew that Alfred had taken the divorce badly and it would be cruel of me to take away what he considered his only family left.

7 comments:

Sarah Hina said...

Oh, man, you fooled me with this one! Nice twist.

If it had been me, Alfred would have come home to an empty house. :) But your way creates a more sympathetic character. Good premise.

SzélsőFa said...

I was quite surprised while reading along the story and then I had a good laugh.
Nice job.:)

wrath999 said...

Nicley done twist. I enjoyed it.

Beth said...

Good twist. At the end I was like, "Dang, this person REALLY loves their dog." Haha.

Hoodie said...

You got me with the twist! Nice one. In shorts like this it's one of my favorite devices. Kudos.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comments. Glad a lot of you liked it. It's my first attempt at writing a short story so this means a lot to mean that you like what you have read.

Gives me a good reason to continue writing stuff.

Anonymous said...

Very tricky! I liked the twist. I really went for it. Great concept.

High marks.