Monday, November 12, 2007

Entry #33

Frogs and Lobsters
by Anti-Wife


The cloud in the middle looks like a frog sitting upside down on the sky or maybe a lobster.

She laughed at the absurdity of the thought knowing pain causes odd reactions and exhaustion can intensify them. Though too tired to cry any more, tears formed as she gazed at the hint of sunrise.

Red sky at night, sailors delight. Red sky in the morning, sailors take warning. It’s going to be another lousy day, she thought grasping the small object tightly.

It may indicate bad weather, but the sky is beautiful. This would be a perfect day to snuggle on the couch with you and a good book; maybe take a nice long nap. But you’re not here anymore. Now you’re just a sweet memory.

They were supposed to have three to six months but then the doctor called about the second cancer. Two or three weeks weren’t enough time, but they were also interminable – every minute an emotional leech. Waiting for the end was incredibly painful and then the emergency room at 4 a.m. and it was over.

I want to go quickly – no time to think about it or worry, just boom and gone. It’ll be less painful for those I leave behind.

Slowly her hand opened and as she looked at the small collar a tear fell on the heart shaped name tag – “Rosie”.

13 comments:

Chris Eldin said...

I was hoping you wouldn't do this. I knew you would, but still hoping you wouldn't.

This is beautiful and poignant and from the heart. From a very big heart.

Sarah Hina said...

This is so powerfully emotive, and nostalgic, even for the worst times. "...every minute an emotional leech"--loved this line. I really felt her loss. So nicely written, and heartfelt.

Jaye Wells said...

Anti-wife, I enjoyed this bittersweet ode to Rosie. I hope this was cathartic for you.

SzélsőFa said...

Real emotions and true pain described here. I'm sorry to have read about it. It's so very sad.
I hope that writing this helped somehow to cope with the loss.

Precie said...

AW--What a beautiful tribute. It touches my heart.

Bernita said...

Makes one weep.

Abhinav said...

Couldn't agree with the people more... Amazing evocative...Chicken Soup for a Blogger's Soul...

The Anti-Wife said...

Thank you everyone. She's not quite gone yet, but soon so it really is fiction - for now.

Thérèse said...

This made me sigh with sadness and miss my own "Rosie."

Well written.

chong y l said...

anti-wife:

Death is nigh and I sigh,
Two constants if life -- death and change.
I prefer the latter.
Who woundn't? 'cept the mad writer!

Thanks for thy ode-sharing.

Beth said...

I have my little girl, Drusilla the Pug, right beside me. Normally, I'm not a fan of animal pieces, but this had me stroking her head a bit as she really is my best friend.

Anonymous said...

I know how personal this is. Beyond being very well written, maybe it's something you can keep in her honor.

The Anti-Wife said...

Thank you!