Happy autumn everyone! I can't believe the strangeness of this season. Here we are entering the second week of November, and the leaves in our area are just reaching peak. That's three weeks late. Maybe the delay will make the colors all the more vibrant. At least I can hope.
Autumn skies are some of the most spectacular and unsettled of the year. What better way to kick off my 7th Clarity of Night contest than to capture one. Welcome to the "Restless Dawn" Short Fiction Contest!
Using the photograph above for inspiration, compose a short fiction piece of no more than 250 words in any genre or style. Send your entry to me by email at jevanswriter at yahoo dot com before 11:00 p.m., Wednesday, November 14th (Eastern Time, United States). I'd prefer attachments formatted in Microsoft Word or Word Perfect, but if you have something more exotic, you can paste the text into the body of an email. Each entry will be posted and indexed.
To make things interesting, I'm offering the following prizes (not to mention bragging rights):
- 1st Place: $25 Amazon gift certificate, 8 x 10 print of the "Restless Dawn" photograph (inscribed by Jason Evans)
- 2nd Place: $20 Amazon gift certificate
- 3rd Place: $15 Amazon gift certificate
- 4th Place: $10 Amazon gift certificate
- 5th Place: $5 Amazon gift certificate
- Readers' Choice Award: $15 Amazon Gift certificate, 8 x 10 print of the "Restless Dawn" photograph (inscribed by Jason Evans)
But this is about more than prizes. I hope you take advantage of the opportunity to meet and interact with your fellow writers. Our different perspectives, styles, and skills shine when we all start at the same place. It's a great opportunity to learn from each other.
- 250 words maximum.
- Titles are optional, but encouraged. Titles do not count toward your word count.
- One entry per person.
- Any genre or style is welcome. If you choose to submit poetry, you must have narrative movement within the poem if you wish to compete with the prose pieces for the prizes.
- The copyright remains with you, the author; however, you grant me worldwide first electronic publishing rights to post your entry on this blog indefinitely.
- Judging will be conducted by me, Jason Evans. For an explanation of judging and helpful hints, see A Note on Judging. You can also read the winning entries from past contests.
- Please provide a name for your byline. If you have a website or a blog, I'd be happy to link your site to your byline. If you don't have a website or blog, feel free to include a short bio. A bio does not count towards your word count.
- At the close of the contest, I will give the date and time for the announcement of winners.
- After the winners are announced, I will post what I liked most about each entry in the comments. Also, if you send a request to me by email, I would be happy to offer any constructive comments I might have. Constructive comments will be by private email only.
- The Readers' Choice Award is awarded by vote of the contest participants. The entry with the highest number of votes wins. The rules for this portion of the contest will be posted after the entry period closes.
- Public critiques in comments are encouraged, but must remain respectful. I reserve the right to delete comments and ban participants who do not abide by the collegial spirit of Clarity of Night contests.
- For prior contests and their results, see the links on the sidebar.
Welcome to this latest contest! The entry period is now open.
(Click HERE for the contest underway.)