Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Entry #123

Alone
by A. Rao


Why am I still here? Everyone else has left, I am left behind. This place, once so bright and vivid, has been reduced to monochromatic hues. Indecision both pushes forward and stops me in my tracks, for once I go forward, it will be too late to change anything I did in the past.

Oftentimes, life is so complicated, with hundreds choices stretching out, each leading to different points. Even when you have an end point in mind, it is impossible to end up exactly where you think you will. Because roads loop back and forth, diverging and intersecting, and it is impossible to find your way through.

That is what I am trying to find now; a compass, or something to guide me in the right direction. Indecision is worse than moving, even if I should happen to be moving in the wrong direction. But though I can take any path I want, it might not be possible to return for gates close behind you as you move forward.

Will I wish I’d gone a different way? Everyone else has turned away. No one has laid down the path for me.

I step forward, and the gate to the past slams shut.


(The "A" in A. Rao is short for something, obviously. He's 12. His interests include music, soccer, chess, and reading.)

15 comments:

McKoala said...

12? Seriously? I would never have known. Great job!

Esther Avila said...

Wow. 12 years old - amazing.
Way to go. Good job.
So philosophical.

kunal said...

good job.. i doubt if your mind is also of 12

Lena said...

I wonder what it will be like when you are 18 :)
Well done!

Sameera Ansari said...

Wow!So much wisdom in a 12 yr old?Amazing :)

K.Lawson Gilbert said...

Very penetrating - good philosophical ponderings by the character. Good writing, A.!!!

laughingwolf said...

nicely done, grasshopper ;)

Aakaash Rao said...

Thanks!

peggy said...

most excellent work! 12? very cool!

Aine said...

I step forward, and the gate to the past slams shut.

Perfect ending. So much truth in these words. Keep writing, A!!

Catherine Vibert said...

A, I don't believe you are 12! This was excellently written, great final line.

Victor Bravo Monchego, Jr said...

Thank you.

ceedy said...

At 12 how many discering pasts have you had to write something like this?

Sarah Hina said...

Indecision can be the worst state of being. I agree with the others--your powers of insight are astounding. I would tell you to keep writing, but it's obvious that you have no other choice. Writing's chosen you.

We don't often know which path is the best one. It's scary, and exciting. I would like to see where this character arrives.

Anonymous said...

Great job with pacing, entertainment value, storytelling, technical skill, and voice! And welcome to the Forties Club!!

Thanks for being a wonderful part of the contest.