Monday, January 12, 2009

Entry #67

Freedom
by Lauren Plouffe


“I wonder what would happen if I fell flat on my face and my hair got dragged into the conveyor at the top of this thing or if I tripped this woman behind me and it happened to her, would I be arrested?” These were the thoughts going through my head as I ascended the escalator to the baggage claim area of Logan airport. “Would my luggage get sent to the address on the tag, shocking my parents months after my death? Or would it just get rummaged through, the Christmas presents stolen and the rest discarded.” I'm pretty sure these thoughts aren't normal.

I'm on my way home for Christmas for the first time in four years. I've been living halfway around the world in a vain attempt to find myself. It sounds pretentious, but its true. My family loves me and they want me to come home, but I don't ever feel ready enough. Teaching in Korea is a life of absolute freedom from responsibility. I don't even have to pay my own rent, it's like I'm playacting at being adult. Working, sure. Supporting myself, absolutely. But without ever having to learn how to interact with others. It's a joke. Suddenly, I see my Dad. It's funny how he looks different but at the same time exactly the same. “Oh, I've missed you” We say. And it's true, but as I'm enveloped in my father's hug, I am already thinking about how long I'm staying this time.

11 comments:

laughingwolf said...

tough to 'grow up'....

JR's Thumbprints said...

Perhaps your character would've preferred an accident or murder over visiting family over the holidays; however, she did make the right choice in the end.

Lauren said...

wow, didn't even think that this would get read.

Lena said...

Loved her thought flow. Very realistic. :)
Nicely done!

McKoala said...

The ending works really well.

Sameera Ansari said...

Imagining the first two lines scared me!

Nicely done.

Sarah Hina said...

Nicely authentic take on the shackles of responsibility. I understand her feelings when embracing her father. We do love our families, and yet they bind, too.

Maybe it can be less about finding ourselves, than escaping. Enjoyed your thoughts and writing here. :)

JaneyV said...

This is close to home!

Catherine Vibert said...

Pretentious or not, there is something liberating about going far away to find oneself. And there is something painful about families for so many. I can relate to this character.

Esther Avila said...

it's nice to go away and nice to come back - nice job in giving us a glimpse into what she was thinking and how she felt.

Anonymous said...

Great job with pacing, entertainment value, technical skill, storytelling, and voice! And welcome to the Forties Club!!

Thanks for being a wonderful part of the contest.