Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Entry #138

The Game
by Puresunshine


Alaska Junior High School was only minutes away but it took Jack longer today, as he dragged a container of strawberry crush and a bag of sweets in the snow. He fumbled and fell over a rock bruising his knee. The bag began to leak like his body, as he rushed inside the gate.

Jason couldn’t control the anxiety. He wasn’t sure of this but he had no alternative. As he sat 50ft underground in the dark room, he wished he could buy time, only if that were on sale!

He quickly put his cloak on, painted his face and reached the center of the room. The rest of his school was around the stage in a circle, their glasses full of red liquid. He knew it was time for the ritual as the boy sitting across him screeched: Are you ready? Let’s play Who Wants To Be a Vampire!

It was a simple process: The Bite, The Drink, The Hunt

He grew nervous and his teeth came closer to his body. The last he saw was the white face.

Waking up from the daze, he tried to control his anger and angst. He picked up the glass of red liquid, the smell was appetizing to his newfound senses.

The crowd cheered. Jack wanted to give them something in return and he remembered he had left his sweet bag outside.

He wobbled and reached the rock and found a beautiful man waiting. “I smelt you in the snow,” he said.

12 comments:

Catherine Vibert said...

I think that is one childhood game I'd rather not play! I liked the setting.

laughingwolf said...

i think i missed a few details...

Tessa said...

Clever evocation.

Unknown said...

Ooh, that's one creepy game. Clever idea, Sunshine!

JR's Thumbprints said...

Sometimes when you play "Let's Pretend," it turns into the real deal. Am I correct?

Deb S said...

Yikes, poor Jack.

BernardL said...

Now there's a rough childhood.

PJD said...

But who is the beautiful man? I'm guessing he will become a mentor or new father figure.

Aniket Thakkar said...

The new found senses sure had the True Blood effect in them. Pretty cool set up.

JaneyV said...

scary school. I'm a bit confused about the beautiful man but I thought your piece had great pace.

Memory said...

oh my.... childhood game is childhood nightmare for me.
This was interesting. I could see the scene unfold. Nice. But I want more. Who is the man at the end?

Anonymous said...

Something tells me that beautiful man is going to turn out not so beautiful. Tracking people in the snow by scent can't be good.