Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Entry #140

Untitled
by Miredinconfusion


Red.

When we met last, Red between us.
Words hung in mid-air, some commited, others abandoned in resignation.
Too tired to argue, too limp to care, twenty years of commitment in the balance
You walked away and only came back once a minute later.
To claim the rest of Red.

What was left then is what is left now.
Red.
A reminder of your sweet and rich aftertaste
drowning in the approach of imminent loss.
Residue without body. Shadow without form. Memory without hope.

Your question hangs in the air now as it hung then – what do you want from me?
I look at shimmering Red for answers.
What do I want?
Affirmation of fantasy? Relentless optimism? Infinite second chances?
All of the above. All the time. Without fail, without doubt.

Is that too much to ask?
Red shivers with reproach.
It is too much to give. It is too much to expect.
Faith has limits. Hope has an end.
People are not Red.

The remains of our life are in front of me.
As evening folds into dusk, I examine the entrails.
Love. Lust. Solace.
Memories. Longings. Ghosts.
Pain. Isolation.

Red.

13 comments:

JR's Thumbprints said...

I've often wondered whether red could be symbolized as something other than danger or heat. This is a valiant effort at seeing red in a slightly different way.

laughingwolf said...

an original take...

Laurel said...

Elegant portrayal of longing and regret. Nice!

Deb S said...

Very nice. Leaves an emptiness in my heart.

Terri said...

How melancholic; this is beautifully written.

illyria taylor said...

you're in my top 5. This is superb, but then I've always had a fascination with necromancy.

Catherine Vibert said...

It's really poem prose. Very well done.

BernardL said...

smooth and lyrical

Sarah Laurenson said...

Beautifully done.

PJD said...

I know this isn't what you meant, but I envision the speaker as God talking to someone who has turned away from faith, possibly a priest who gave up.

I know that's not what you meant. Or maybe...

Esther Avila said...

poetic story
nicely written

Aniket Thakkar said...

I liked the structure of it. Nicely done.

Anonymous said...

Very powerful. Huge questions here. What do you want from me? Asking too much. Loss. Excellent.

Welcome to The Forties Club!