Friday, July 10, 2009

Entry #36

Fortune
by Dianne Lindstrom


“Can you really tell my future in a glass of wine?” Eyebrows scrunched together, the client was skeptical.

“Of course, for you, I can. Why do you doubt me?” Looking innocent, the fortune teller shrugged her shoulders.

“Well, okay. I guess you’ve been right before.” Shifting her weight in the chair, the client starred at the glass of wine.

The glass was centered on the ivory-colored lace doily. It was a goblet made of crystal-clear glass. The wine was red, almost crimson. Visible through the wine glass, every detail of the doily was sharp.

“Now close your eyes and breathe deeply. Breathe in. Breathe out.” The client obeyed. As the client relaxed, the fortune teller grabbed the glass of wine. She downed it in a few short glugs. As she wiped her lips, the client had disappeared, too.

15 comments:

Laurel said...

Smart client, I think!

I can't put my finger on it but something about this is vaguely foreboding.

Aniket Thakkar said...

I like the ambiguity in the last line.

The client disappeared or disappeared!

I wonder...

Catherine Vibert said...

I have to wonder, like Aniket here, did the client leave, or did the fortune teller swallow the client. Could be the opening scene to a harrowing psychic killer thriller.

Chris Eldin said...

AHAHAH! Funny and chilling at the same time---what a strange combination! But I thoroughly enjoyed this one!!

laughingwolf said...

fortuneteller aka witch? :O lol

JR's Thumbprints said...

Nothing like a wino for a fortune teller. Nothing like drinking on the job. I guess it didn't matter, since it was a regular client. Interestingly funny.

Tessa said...

Did she swallow the client as she downed the wine, I wonder? Creepy wit - congrats!

Diana Lindstrom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
PJD said...

Ooh, Tessa, I hadn't considered that. I like the "ok, whatever" attitude of the client, and I get the impression that the fortune teller was surprised by the client's disappearance. I'm desperate to know what happened to the client.

Unknown said...

Thank you all for your comments! I'm so glad most of you got the humor in this story.

What happened to the client? Well, what do YOU think happened to her? That's where the story lays - in your imagination. :-)

Unknown said...

Ooh, and intriguingly ambiguous ending. Love the slightly sinister humour!

Cloves said...

Ooo, it reminds me of Amazing Stories. You just never know what will happen when you visit a fortune teller.

I like that the ending is ambiguous.

JaneyV said...

Spooky!

Jade L Blackwater said...

Wonderful - I love the concise writing and the mysticism!

Anonymous said...

Very different. Remind me not to go to that fortune teller. The breathing was a nice touch.