Friday, July 10, 2009

Entry #40

The Chalice
by Donna Dickson

Nobody noticed when he slipped the poison into her drink.

“You look lovely this evening,” he whispered, his lips brushing softly against her cheek.

You look hideous. Ten minutes after we were married, you gained 50 pounds and you’ve been stuffing your face ever since.

He gathered her into his arms, swaying gently to the music. Their friends and family were all present to help them celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary.

“I love you, my darling. Thank you for 25 wonderful years”.

I hate you. I can no longer remember a time when I didn’t hate you. I cannot spend another day with you. You’re worth more to me dead than alive. Tonight, I am finally going to get what I deserve.

He giggled gleefully to himself.

“Happy anniversary, my love. I look forward to the next 25 years,” he murmured softly as they danced.

I look forward to the next 25 years without you. Once you taste your wine, I taste my freedom.

The time had come. He tried to cover his anticipation with a mask of loving adoration.

They raised their glasses to their lips.

And drank.

His heart beat faster.

Sweat beaded on his brow.

He waited for his wife to fall.

As he sank to the ground, he saw his wife gaze at him over the rim of her glass.

He thought he saw her stifle a smile.

Nobody had noticed when she switched their glasses.

He had finally got what he deserved.

20 comments:

JR's Thumbprints said...

Careful what you plan for. Nice switch.

Merry Monteleone said...

Nicely done. I hope the insurance covers accidental death.

Laurel said...

Nice. The wife is quite efficient and level-headed. If you choose to marry someone who is your intellectual superior you come out waaaaay ahead if you appreciate her mind when you get married.

wrath999 said...

Cool, very well done

alex

Catherine Vibert said...

Luckily she was a savvy one!

Aniket Thakkar said...

Looks to me they were just made for each other in a weird twisted way. :)

Chris Eldin said...

I suspected what was coming, but nevertheless enjoyed this one very much! Loved the internal dialogue!

Unknown said...

Nice job keeping up the suspense. I was hoping he would get his comeuppance.

laughingwolf said...

love the twist...

Anonymous said...

*hee hee*

"you fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia.' but only slightly less well known is this: 'never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!'"

The Preacherman said...

Considering it's me who's put the pounds on since getting married I'd better say nowt...;-)


A deserved fate I reckon...


Good stuff old bean



Four Dinners

Tessa said...

Aha! You got me there! Excellent piece.

BernardL said...

Wow... what a pair. She had good instincts. :)

PJD said...

Saw this one coming a mile away, but I didn't care because the contrast between his words and thoughts was so clever and amusing. I love the unapologetic derision and unfettered disgust he shows, and the words you use to illustrate it. (Hopefully this is not autobiographical!)

LOL @Aerin. Well quoted!

Unknown said...

Oh good one! I love how you handled this - I wondered from the start if the "second voice" was his or hers - it worked really well, you knew something was up but you never knew quite what until the end. Really well handled!

JaneyV said...

Donna i think this was a wonderful piece of writing. I loved the second voice. I actually think that you didn't need the last two lines at all. Her smirk tells the story just as effectively.

And Aerin I love you!

rebecca said...

Love it. Careful what you wish for....

Jade L Blackwater said...

What I like best about this piece is the duplicity - you reveal it well through both spoken and internal dialog.

Anonymous said...

Nicie twist that he was the one doing the poisoning! The sweet, sweet words seem so oily now. Well done!

Welcome to The Forties Club!!

Watters' Reflection said...

Thank you everyone for your kind and supportive comments. I love this place!