Sunday, July 12, 2009

Entry #78

In Vino Veritas
by Carrie Ann Riddell

Drinking from similar fine-cut glass, Antoine's face resembled my own. His hollow-cheeked, dry-lined lip, somewhere lost expression proved uncanny, yet not unexpected. Alcohol, I realised, took its toll, while battle scars we shared caused identical pain. I eyed my foe across the grandiose top table and knew he was thinking of Yves.

"Champagne, Monsieur?"

I declined, waving the waiter away. This was no time for celebration. We were at war and in mourning. A wedding didn't change that. Despite Antoine's smiles as my daughter married his son, I knew how he felt. Their union was one he despised and the thought of future children sickened him more. Had Yves survived, this wouldn't have happened. Ever.

I filled my goblet with claret, watching Antoine do the same. Sipping once to achieve a slow burn, twice to rekindle the flame, I saw the Riviera of the past; the sea in which we bathed, the rocks we made love on by night. Myself and Yves, in secret; Antoine and Yves, discovered in time...

The blood from our three-way fight.

Of course, we weren't suspected. Collaborating with the enemy proved easy when one's life was at stake. Self-preservation, a furnace to the fires of love and hate, smothered emotion at will and continued to do so till only ashes remained--ashes and lives built on lies.

"Mesdames et Messieurs, a toast to the bride and groom."

Through the glass, a swirl of red appeared to stain my daughter's veil as I swallowed once again.

15 comments:

Sarah Laurenson said...

Enemies in the war of love brought to a truce by the love of their offspring. Very nice.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Forbidden love is always the best love. Nicely told.

The Preacherman said...

Que?

soz....my only bit of Francais....oh shit it's Spanish...

JR has hit the nail on the head. Very nicely told old bean.



Four Dinners

laughingwolf said...

c'est si bon!

Laurel said...

Remarkable. Drama drama drama but it doesn't read melodramatic.

I love "sipping once to achieve a slow burn,twice to rekindle the flame"

This was meaty. Thanks.

Catherine Vibert said...

Sounds like the marriage will be cursed...

Chris Eldin said...

I love the international flair! And I agree---lots of drama without being melodramatic. Very nice!!
:-)

Aniket Thakkar said...

'That which we call a rose. By any other name would smell as sweet'

Liked the set up and the conflict built up. I often do theatre so am all in for Drama. :)

BernardL said...

A rich interpretation.

PJD said...

I'm confused about Yves. Was his death the start of the war or incidental to it? Was he on one side or the other? Both? I'm willing to let that confusion go because the setup and description are quite good. I love the red staining the veil. Does the MC not fear for his daughter's life, though? The red veil seems an omen.

JaneyV said...

You managed to achieve that 1940's feel. I love being placed in rural France. You can almost smell the place (I mean that in a good way). Nice interpretation.

Tessa said...

Poignant and powerful - beautifully told.

Jade L Blackwater said...

A nice, tight, convoluted convergence of emotions... and motivations.

Anonymous said...

Now that's a dark past. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. But the pain has consumed them.

Congratulations on Honorable Mention!!

Jaye Wells said...

I absolutely loved this one. It reminded me of a Coppola movie. Rich, dark descriptions and the ominous shadows of the past lingering in the corners made this a perfect little piece.