Sunday, July 12, 2009

Entry #81

Let’s Talk Business
by Mystico

“Mr. Johnson.”

“Mr. Drake.”

“A pleasure to meet you. You requested my …services?”

“Indeed. I have recently been plagued by…fatigue. Helplessness. I have everything. And nothing.”

“They always say that, or they will not see me. I have read your profile. One at the pinnacle of your career, my dear man. With a family, and children with lives almost as successful. How could you possibly have nothing? It will not make sense.”

“You don’t understand.”

“Your disease is only a temporary setback. You will emerge a stronger person. There is no need to go such lengths. To avoid that one obstacle. Without you, your company will crash and you know it. Of all that have darkened the threshold of my quarters, I have seen none so selfish.”

“No! I cannot let others see me vulnerable, emancipated. I will be stigmatized. That cannot happen. The world can burn for all I care. You will help me. I can easily pay for others if you do not. DO YOU GET ME?”

“Watch the tone, sir. Please, take a seat. Enjoy your last drink.”

Mr. Johnson awoke in the moonlight. He looked around. Was it over? Was this hell?

He felt his neck, but could not find the two promised punctures.

Fur erupted from every pore, fangs burst from raw gums, finger extended into claws and he fell to all fours.

NO!

Deserving, smirked the vampire as he pocketed the serum, that the inner beast in him be released.

14 comments:

Laurel said...

Great twist!

JR's Thumbprints said...

From formal introduction to hairy beast! Cool.

wrath999 said...

Very well done

laughingwolf said...

ooo a nasty twist :)

Catherine Vibert said...

(giggle) I like the last line. Good job.

Aniket Thakkar said...

'A man who has become a beast, is free from the pain of being a man'

This was an awesome tale. Crisp and nicely paced. Liked it a lot.

Chris Eldin said...

Cool twist at the end!

BernardL said...

We don't always get what we want. :)

Liz said...

Scary! "Suck it up" could be the title (double meaning). Hee hee! Now the werewolf can just track down the crummy vampire who did that to him and he'll be all set. :)

PJD said...

I love the idea that every person has an inner beast and that we don't know what it is until it is given freedom to emerge. I have nightmares that my inner beast is a pigeon. How humiliating that would be.

Anyway, is "emancipated" the word you mean there? If he's sick, wouldn't "emaciated" be right?

JaneyV said...

At last! A werewolf!

Nice twist. I didn't see that coming. Of course neither did he (teehee).

Jade L Blackwater said...

Your story sucks me right in... I'm ready to hear what comes next now that the inner-beast has been unleashed!

Anonymous said...

Those are the deals everyone seems to get burned on. But he regrets it now.

Welcome to The Forties Club!

Mystico said...

I am sorry for the late comment, but I must say thank you to everyone for your kind comments!
And I am honored to be part of the Forties Club!