Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Entry #43

Non-Profit
by Angel


I had to walk past that place every day and see those walls and those wires every day. My skin prickled with a sense of apprehension, and my heart ached for them every day.

The dragons couldn’t be shot or bled to death because their skins were so tough- so they were electrocuted instead… apparently on a massive contraption that looked like a cross between a hospital traction wheel and an electric chair. Granted- I’d never seen it- but the ever present “they” said that’s what it looked like.

We needed another escape like the get away of three of the baby dragons that had started the DPS. They had begged telepathically for help, for refuge, for safety and foolishly- I went to the media. I told the reporter who agreed to see me how the three babies had found me and what they’d told me. By the time I got home to show her the dragons- “they” had beat me to my place. The babies were gone. I had no evidence.

As I pushed open the seemingly always grubby doors to the Dragon Perpetuation Society, I wondered again about our future. Our fundraising had trickled to a few bucks a month and our rent was way overdue. The volunteers didn’t even pitch up anymore.

Another “escape” was needed to fire up our contributors consciences again…

I realised then as I walked home trying not to look at the walls and wires- that maybe I didn’t actually need real escapees…

13 comments:

Joni said...

I like the fantasy element. Stick it to the man. Very creative. Good job.

Anonymous said...

Definitely makes you think about the rest of that world, what it's like.

Anonymous said...

A powerful read.

Fran Piper said...

Sounds like the beginning of a very interesting novel...

Anonymous said...

Good, strong piece of writing, gripping and as Fran said, sounds the start of a very interesting novel.
Atyllah

Anonymous said...

Really interesting take - I do like fantasy and this seems to fuse it with that 1984ish feeling too.

Anonymous said...

You've conveyed a lot in such a short piece... definitely a novel in there somewhere!

Anonymous said...

i like it. I kinda figured it woul dhave dragons :)

Anonymous said...

Now that's an approach to the picture I never would have thought of. Quite nice!

s.w. vaughn said...

Wicked! Connecting with dragons!

This would make a great expanded story. :-)

Anonymous said...

joni: thank you!

caveblogem: cool, thanx.

susan: "powerful" wow- thanx- thats a first for me!

fran: thank you, but again i lost the (self contained short story) plot...

atyllah: "gripping" yay- another forst for me! thank you!

cailleach: "1984ish feeling", i like that- thanx!

terri: thanx... but once again i feel like i fell flat on the point of a self contained short story.

katy katy katy: now why on earth would you figure that?

jim: i just love how we all see things differently, thanx.

s.w.: thank you!

Anonymous said...

A complex world here. I see much more beyond the confines of the piece.

AngelConradie said...

anonymous: thanx!

jason: damn, i keep doing that! there's a real art to this short short story thing isn't there...