Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Entry #52

The Golden Head
by Lois Palmer


“There!” June pointed to the small clearing. “See the dogs’ head?”

“All I see is a pile of debris shining in the sun. I’ve tried to tell you the story of the sacred dog is just a urban tail started by the Ferengis to separate tourists from their money.” John started back the way they had come.

She grabbed his arm. “Please, John, I know this is it. The old man said you would find it where the sun paints a sign. See a nose, eyes, and ears? The sun casts its shadows just right. He said the story of the sacred dog head is true. The man saw it when he was a small boy.”

“What he saw was after the cacao leaf. How much did he talk you out of?”

“Nothing, just a pack of cigarettes. Please, help me pull the debris away.”

“All right, if you promise if there’s nothing, you’ll stop this foolish hunt. You’ve spent a fortune on this folly already.”

“It’s my money, but I promise if we find nothing, I’ll not ask you to go again. I’ll find someone else.

They pulled all the accumulated brush until they came to the forest floor, with a scattering of small rocks

Let’s go, June, there’s nothing.” John took her shoulders and walked her back the way they had come.

June turned for a last look. I’ll be back. I know you’re there.

They didn’t see the golden, dog head emerge from the forest floor.

8 comments:

JRVogt said...

"Urban tail"? Priceless. I hope you did that on purpose. Even if you didn't, claim you did.

Unknown said...

Hate it when we get influenced by others to give up on our dreams. Great short story - I wonder what the dog head was thinking.
Really nicely done.

Unknown said...

Wow! More please. Good use of word pictures. You put me in the scene. Well done.
Sharon

Anonymous said...

I wondered about that "tail" too. kind of bittersweet

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... leaves me wondering about the story behind the dog!

SzélsőFa said...

I'd like to see it continued.

Anonymous said...

Thanks to you all for your comments.I appreciate them. It's the first time I've submitted online.\Lois

Anonymous said...

That treasure is sneaky. Sounds like a stakeout is in order.