Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Entry #3

Remember Me
by Rachael Dimond


He picks up the shovel and throws more dirt onto her coffin. The coffin is covered with pink roses, her favorite. The sun is setting in the sky and he feels the crisp wind of autumn. Everyone is crying and his heart aches with the pain of saying goodbye. She’s gone and he won’t ever hear her laughter again.

More dirt is thrown onto the coffin. He sees her parents crying. Her little brother is here. You can tell he doesn’t realize his sister lies in that coffin. He walks over to her brother and lays a comforting hand on his shoulder. The little boy looks up at him with his big blue eyes and says, "She is here with us. Remember her." He hands him a letter and he trembles inside with pain. He can hear her voice, reading it to him, calming him.

"Remember me when the sun sets at dawn. Remember me when autumn turns the leaves vibrant hues of yellow and red. Remember me when you look up into the sky searching for answers. Remember me when your heart aches and you are sad. I will ease your pain and make you smile."

“Remember me when life lets you down and you are disappointed. Remember me when you hear the leaves rustle in the wind. Remember me when you hear laughter. Remember me and never forget, for I have loved you before I was born and will forever love you even after death."

12 comments:

Sarah Hina said...

A very melancholy, yet somehow life-affirming interpretation, and affecting.

I was a little confused by the different "he"s in the second paragraph, but that could just be me.

If only all of us could receive such a letter...

Enchanted by Books said...

Hi Sarah
It was supposed to be the little boy handing the man the letter. Sorry about the confusion with the two different he's. I didn't want to name the people and I guess should have phrased that part differently.

Thanks for posting on my story! :)

JRVogt said...

Touching in the end. I appreciate those who don't see death as a permanent separation.

Enchanted by Books said...

Thanks Josh! :)

Angela said...

Lovely.

Enchanted by Books said...

Thank you Angela! :)

Beth said...

I also wrote about death. That sky just looked foreboding. Really nice.

Enchanted by Books said...

Thanks Beth. :)

raine said...

How wistful and lovely, all at once.

Enchanted by Books said...

Thank you Raine! :)

Anonymous said...

Damn. Tear-jerker. You got me. I didn't want it to be effective, but it was. Very hard to do with sterile words on a page. Well done.

Enchanted by Books said...

Thank you so much Jason! :)