Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Entry #47

Olaf’s Big Adventure
by Posolxstvo


Olaf froze as the shadow on the ground rapidly approached and passed over, swooping away into the loaming. Scanning the sky, he couldn’t see anything standing out against the murky clouds, but let’s face it – he was a domesticated rabbit. What the hell was he looking for anyway?

“Shit like this always happens to me,” he muttered, dashing for the nearest available ground cover, scanning for shadows. “I should have stayed where I was. But, noooo, I had to see what lay beyond the open door. Damn damn damn!”

Under a bush, he rested his aching side, still bruised from the four foot drop out of his hutch. He could hear the hawk’s shrill cry, but still couldn’t see anything.

“I’ll just hang out till it’s safe,” he gasped to himself.

“Like hell you will,” replied an unfriendly voice belonging to a rather unpleasant looking groundhog. “Get your own damn hiding place, housepet.”

“But…” he stammered.

“But nothing. Clear out. And if you get eaten, try not to let that beast shit all over the rest of us.” The groundhog pushed him out.

Olaf was once again in the open. He could hear the hawk again. He took off in what he thought was the other direction, mindlessly dashing this way and that.

And that’s when he felt himself being picked up off the ground. “Hey,” called a human sounding voice. “Here he is.”

Olaf had never been so happy to see that snot nosed little brat.

12 comments:

Bernita said...

Oh, cute!

The Anti-Wife said...

Wonderful and unexpected ending.

Jaye Wells said...

Very cute. I was worried you were going to break our hearts.

Chris Eldin said...

Rabbit gone bad.
Very cute!
LOL!

Sarah Hina said...

Loved that last line, and the whole concept. I guess kids are marginally preferable to hawks. ;)

Very whimsical, funny tale. Good job!

wrath999 said...

Very unique and very well written

SzélsőFa said...

What a lovely story.
I like the hedgehog's character :)

Beth said...

If not for the cursing, this would be positively cute. How funny!

Sherman Jenkins said...

Wonderful. At or near the top of my writers choice. I may be biased by memories of a rabbit and love unsung after so many years. But who could fail to find favor for a rabbit's terrified heartbeat? Ava

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

Thanks for the kind feedback. As a first time contest enterer, I very much appreciate it.

And sorry about the cursing. I guess. I can't help how my characters were raised ;).

raine said...

Oh, I loved this! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Cute ending. When rabbits run like that, they're usually done for. Lucky guy indeed! I also liked the grumbling animals.