Friday, April 25, 2008

Meme Friday

I've recently been tagged for a couple of memes. Sounds like a good way to round out the week. So here goes:

Meme #1--Jude's Blind Book

Jude over at Jude's Writing Corner tagged me for this little one. These turn-to-a-page memes always seem a bit curious to me, but I'll use it as an opportunity to mention a very good writer.
  1. Grab a nearby book.

  2. Turn to page 123.

  3. Type lines 6-9.

"I can sure see why you thought what you did."

I frown. "But look at it! You said yourself that you would have a better chance of winning the lottery."

"You would, if the markings matched exactly...."

From Riding Lessons by Sara Gruen. I'm not terribly far in this book, but I really, really enjoyed Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. I would definitely recommend that one.

Meme #2--Aerin's Six Random Things

Aerin over at Oodellay got me with one of my favorites.

The rules:

a. Link to the person who tagged you.
b. Post the rules on your blog.
c. Write six random things about yourself.
d. Tag six random people at the end of your post by linking to their blogs.
e. Let each person know they have been tagged by leaving a comment at their blog.
f. Let your tagger know when your entry is up.

  1. When I was in second grade, my family moved to Buffalo in the midst of the Blizzard of 1977. If it weren't for exiting at a random Holiday Inn, we may have gotten snowed in on the highway.

  2. After moving, my parents never really drove me around the neighborhood to show me where we lived. On my first day of school, I got off the bus at a house that looked like mine. I realized my mistake after the bus pulled away. I wandered the post-blizzard snow until someone took pity on me and picked me up (after I tearfully denied that I needed help).

  3. I prefer the lower part of chicken wings. The ones with the ulna and radius.

  4. Speaking of bones, Aine and I discuss musculoskeletal anatomy at the dinner table. The kids dig it.

  5. I don't hold other people to the standards I hold myself to. I'm afraid of what would happen if I did.

  6. I bear a fair resemblance to Eric Stoltz. When Aine first pointed that out when we were dating, she said, yeah, that guy who starred with Cher in Mask. I had no idea what to say.

Anyone looking for a post idea? I tag YOU!

16 comments:

Sarah Hina said...

#2: makes me shudder as a mom (and I can just see you tromping around in your new boots, bravely holding back the tears).

#4: Figures. ;)

#6: Sixteen Candles, Aine! Sixteen candles!! Oh, dear, let me wipe the tear from my eye...

Anonymous said...

Wait a minute, Eric Stoltz wasn't in Sixteen Candles. Now I'm going to have an even BIGGER complex! :D

Jaye Wells said...

He wasn't in Sixteen Candles. No way. How about in Singles where he played an angry mime. Does that work better?

Aine said...

Sarah-- Actually, I had Some Kind of Wonderful in mind, but I knew he hadn't seen that movie. I thought of Fast Times at Ridgemont High, but I didn't know how to explain which actor he was (it was such a minor role). So, the first that came to mind was Mask. You can imagine my embarrassment when he looked horrified!
:D

Sarah Hina said...

*slinks away in ironic shame*

Vesper said...

Yes, a nice, light way to round out the week... :-) Thank God, it's the weekend! :-)

Nice list, Jason, though I dread thinking of what you - and your parents! - must have felt while No.2 was happening.

No. 5 - I'm afraid I do, over and over again, despite some disappointments...

Eric Stoltz... Hmmm...

Anonymous said...

Jaye, an angry mime...yeah, that's way better. ;) See, look, I'm walking against the rain. The wind is blowing. Do you see my invisible umbrella? Do you? Ah, hell with it.

Aine, I could've dealt with Spicoli. Looking at the smashed up car: My dad's like a TV repairman. He's got this awesome set of tools. I can fix it!

Sarah, come on back. It's okay. ;)

Anonymous said...

Vesper, I was thinking like Laurel and Hardy: here's another fine mess you got yourself into. The only thing I thought to do is walk. Unfortunately, I made a critical wrong turn and screwed up a second time.

Have a great weekend!

Jaye Wells said...

See, you already have the bitter part down. ;)

SzélsőFa said...

What if the sixteen candles was a reference to the years of your marriage?

I saw Eric Stolz in The Fly II.
Do I have to hide in shame for doing that? I was young then!!!

Re: random fact #2.
Oh, what a nasty experience!

Miladysa said...

I thought Eric Stolz was in CHIPS ?

*grin*

Jude said...

Glad you got round to this Jason and look - you got lumbered with the same one I have now been tagged with... I like your idea of tagging one and all.... Nice list...I don't have a chicken wing preference being a veggie but you're obviously an expert chicken wing eater!!

Anonymous said...

Jaye, :)

Szelsofa, actually, 16 is right on target!

Miladysa, oooh, I see how this is going. ;)

Jude, thanks for the tag! And bring on the chicken wings.

JaneyV said...

My favourite Eric Stoltz movie is Memphis Belle - wasn't he a poet?

Anonymous said...

Janey, I'll have to see that one!

Anonymous said...

well, that was the funniest thing I've read all day.

Mask.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

*sigh*

good one.