Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Entry #43

Out Running
by J.C. Montgomery


Pushing gently against my back, she lets me know she wants to race, again. I have never outrun her, but I try. It’s a game we play, she and I. Most times, I get a head start. During the day I’m lucky to get a few miles ahead, traffic slowing me down at every turn. But at night, the road is ours.

Just ahead, I see the crest of a hill, signaling a change in terrain. Here is where I lose a little time as the incline slows me down allowing her to gain ground. She comes up fast and does all she can to meet me at the top of the hill. I lean forward, giving my bike every chance to take the incline at the best possible moment, and at the fastest possible speed.

I don’t look back. It’s not necessary, as she is there waiting for me. Like I said, I can never outrun her. How can you race the running wind and ever hope to win? You don’t. You simply play the game and enjoy the brusque breeze of victory as it whips across your face, taking your breath away. However it’s never enough to prevent me from whispering her a song as I race down the hill demanding a rematch, hoping to make the next crest before she does.

Away out here they have a name for rain and wind and fire.
The rain is Tess, the fire's Joe and they call the wind Mariah.

------

“They Call the Wind Mariah”
Words and Music by Alan Jay Lerner and Frederick Loewe

14 comments:

SzélsőFa said...

It was very excitingly worded and the story drew me in. It feels like an excerpt from a larger piece, there's more to it, hidden behind.

Sarah Hina said...

What a great narration and spirit to match such a fine song.

The personification of the wind, and his race with her, is playful and exhilarating. He'll never win, but he'll always keep trying.

Nice pacing, and flow to your storytelling, too.

BernardL said...

Lyrical fun ride.

Beth said...

What a perfect show of title and picture.

Sameera Ansari said...

I have always thought the elements to be near human.Nice to know about the song through this beautiful piece.

Loved the description!

JaneyV said...

J.C. - I loved the freedom of this piece. There is something about the wind, isn't there, that emancipates the soul. Throw in a bit of speed and you have an intoxicating combination.

Enjoyed this a lot!

Rusty La Violette said...

I really enjoyed this piece. Very expressive.

Esther Avila said...

Fun and spirited. I enjoyed this.

Scott said...

Here is a person who just enjoys living, one with nature, ironically on the back of a machine. Quite nice.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Nice touch; having the narrator identify the wind with freedom with a song. Bravo!

AngelConradie said...

i loved this!

Missy said...

Ohh! I really enjoyed this. Very elemental and poetic.

laughingwolf said...

google ate my post grrrrrrrrr

nicely done, enjoyed it....

Anonymous said...

The jockeying race came across well. Their names will carry into the night.