Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Entry #11

Treadmill
by Peggy L Johnson


I felt like my life was an escalator ride, I never seemed to make it anywhere. Higher and higher, watching everything around me move either up or further away. A few times in my life I would walk down that ever-running staircase but nothing happened. My life was stuck there between the top and the bottom. Inside I wondered if this was midlife, is this all there is?

One evening as I climbed, I noticed a man. He was coming up my staircase; the same staircase that refused to let me advance any further. He stopped on my stair and smiled at me, his voice melodious and sweet. “You my dear are trying too hard. Why not stop and just enjoy the scenery.”

I was dumbfounded as he moved past me.

There was a scent, roses and from my perch I saw them, bright red and blooming. The ground was alive with color and smell. I remember smiling and inhaling deeply of this new and intoxicating feeling. Everyday I began waiting for my moving platform to reach that special place.

One evening, I stood admiring the view and the very next moment my staircase stopped abruptly. I peered down, green vegetation surrounded me, I had finally gotten off the never-ending staircase and had ascended into life itself. I could hear his voice again.

Life can be a struggle or it can be a joy, you must stop and admire Gods handiwork he leaves for you everyday.

20 comments:

Lena said...

a very inspirational one indeed. Passes on a great message. Was a pleasure to read :)

laughingwolf said...

well done, peggy :)

peggy said...

thank you..was quite fun to write..

Geraldine said...

Wonderful! What an uplifting (no pun intended) story for the end of the day. Well done.

www.mypoeticpath.wordpress.com

wrath999 said...

Great message done very well.

K.Lawson Gilbert said...

great sentiments, indeed

Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Beautiful read. :)

Sameera Ansari said...

That was very inspiring!Lovely take on letting go :)

Sarah Hina said...

Yes, sometimes we just have to forget the journey and enjoy the here and now. This story is like a sweet surrender to all things positive, whether that be God or just a wonderful luck. We are alive.

Nicely done, Peggy. Enjoyed this very much. :)

Anil Sawan said...

that was quite inspiring!! and such a grt msg.. wel written Johnson.

Anonymous said...

An inspirational piece that makes you realize that "life can be a joy."

Betty Gordon
www.bettygordon.com

JaneyV said...

Peggy I couldn't agree with the gentleman more. The desperation to get somewhere often results in missing the wonders around. I adore the journey and I'm in no rush.

Thank you for a gentle and inspiring read.

Chris Eldin said...

I love the message in this one. Life is too fast, isn't it. And we don't take time to enjoy the moments.
Great writing!!

peggy said...

I constantly have to remind myself to stop...and smell the roses :)

ceedy said...

Inspiring...glad I "smelt" this story :)

Catherine Vibert said...

This is a beautiful message. Very inspiring, and nicely written.

Margaret said...

Enjoyed this very much.

We all have to learn to stop & enjoy life for what it offers. Every day can be so beautiful, if only we'd open our eyes to see.

bluesugarpoet said...

great reminder to enjoy life! there is so much beauty to behold if only we would stop and look. Nicely written!

jana

Esther Avila said...

beautiful

Anonymous said...

Great job on pacing!

Thanks for being a wonderful part of the contest!