Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Entry #111

Ascension
by Richa Sharma


At an airport’s escalator..

Automatically rising up

Levels of floor.. or of my being? I am split into the real and its metaphor..

Have to be most careful when at start n finish, where to put the foot.. Like in everything we do?

Unaware of what lies on the top floor.. or my destination?

Looking around as I rise.. is always beautiful..

Thinking of climbing as I rise, but then think of being lazy and enjoy the ride.. Like I want to enjoy breathing..

Hands have to be loose enough to let the railing slide by.. and then my heart enjoys love..

Commotion on the ground, peace only on the escalator, peace in knowing your rising, peace in knowing I’l be in my flight in less time..

I get down a few stairs and smile, I am a kid, playing..

The phone rings, pulls an adult out of the kid, with a focus, reaching the top..

Games become intolerable.. responsible mind takes over a happy heart..

Hold on the luggage becomes firm, brain shoots out the flight number like a computer, I’m proud of..

Now as I place my foot rightly on the last concrete step.. I am there, part of the commotion increasing it pushing around..

I completely would have forgotten and this miniature of living a life, would have gone by un noticed..

Had I not participated in “Ascension”.. climbing up an escalator wont be the same again for me or the readers!!

Hopefully!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice touch at the end. I don't think I'll ride an escalator in the same way again, either!!!

Lena said...

Liked the way you included the contest into your piece. Interesting!

Sameera Ansari said...

Woah!That was such a unique take :)

I am sure everyone of us can relate to it so well!

K.Lawson Gilbert said...

Love the originality and inventiveness.

Anonymous said...

Richa
thanks Guys. I am glad that you liked my piece.
K.Lawson Gilbert,
Lena,
sameera,
Selma,
all of you! THANKS a lot

Catherine Vibert said...

This line really got me: Games become intolerable.. responsible mind takes over a happy heart..
Sigh...
Very nice writing.

Sarah Hina said...

Wonderful layering here, Richa...taking us deeper into all facets of our self-awareness, reminding ourselves to really live.

I enjoyed the meta referencing to the contest at the end, too. We will all look at escalators with similarly layered feelings now, I imagine. And hopefully take the time to enjoy them all as we ascend.

Very original and thoughtful take. I really enjoyed this one.

bluesugarpoet said...

Ascending on so many levels (or is it an ascent, really); life is complicated! Nicely written.

jana

Aniket Thakkar said...

@ Richa: Loved the emotions described there... and am sure all the writers would relate to the ending! I liked the phrase "Hold on the luggage becomes firm"... I miss the old carefree days when I was a kid! Now wverything seems so complicated!

Margaret said...

Absolutely unique!

Loved the way you involved the contest into your story at the end.

I for one, will definitely see escalators with different eyes from now on.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for being a wonderful part of the contest!