Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Entry #14

Ascension
by Kim Watters


It was a long time coming, but I finally made it out of the fiery depths of the hell that I’ve been in for almost two years of my life. I’d go that extra mile and end up falling two miles back. Isn’t there an old saying about taking one step forward and two steps back? Well, let me tell you that when you’re in a serious accident, it’s like taking a million steps to make that mile back to where you were before it happened.

They said I wouldn’t survive, but I did. They said I’d be a quadriplegic, well I showed them! Since childhood, I’ve been accident-prone, so what’s one more accident in the great scheme of things.

It all started when I was walking along, minding my own business, when WHAM! Something hit me - hard! The next thing I knew, I woke up in the hospital in a full body cast, complete with wired jaw. After twenty-four operations, the physiotherapy and aqua therapy began. It took a full year just to get out of the wheelchair. They wanted me to see a psychiatrist - talk about my experience, how I felt about what happened to me - why? It was just one more accident, okay a little more serious than the ones I’ve had before, but still an accident.

After two years in the hospital, the day finally arrived for me to walk out on my own two feet. I think I’ll go to the mall.

18 comments:

Lena said...

Hope the mall experience wont turn into a new accident :)
Very nicely written :)

peggy said...

hahaha, now heres a story that has a whole bunch more to tell. Very nicely written. I'd sure to have loved to know more about this, but with the limited words..pretty damn good. Lets all go to the mall? LOL. Great job

Geraldine said...

After all that a trip to the mall might be just the ticket!!!

www.mypoeticpath.wordpress.com

laughingwolf said...

and so it goes, kim :O

K.Lawson Gilbert said...

just watch that first step - it's a doozie!

Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

I really admire her strong will. :)

Sameera Ansari said...

Her determination is praiseworthy :)

Sarah Hina said...

I liked the casual humor of the last line after all the trials that came before. The impulsiveness and lack of caution made me clearly see how the narrator had gotten into so many scrapes before. :)

Interesting take...you let the reader take the thread of the story forward. Nicely done.

Rachel Green said...

You'd think he'd be a little more cautious!

Anonymous said...

I thank you all for your comments. It was almost a true life story as I was once hit by a truck. I was lucky. I got away with a few bumps on the head, a bruised hip, and a stiff neck the next day.

BernardL said...

Gripping analogy of recovery in your million steps back escalator.

JaneyV said...

Who needs a shrink when there's retail therapy eh? I love her guts and determination. Ballsy!

This made me smile ;0)

Esther Avila said...

:) cool ending. Nice work.

Anonymous said...

kim, excellent story.. the spirit of survival... it is strong in the world of blue escalators

PJD said...

When you go to the mall, hold on to the handrail. It would be tragic (and ironic) indeed if you fell on an escalator and went right back into the hospital.

Catherine Vibert said...

I hope the mall doesn't kill her! Nice job.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for being a wonderful part of the contest!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Jason for hosting these contests. It's great as I get bragging rights at school.