Saturday, January 10, 2009

Entry #42

Your Time Has Come
By Rachael D.


"You have arrived."

"Arrived? Where the hell am I? What is this place?"
"My son, do not ask such silly questions. This is the hereafter. This is your new life. Take a look around. Find your family."

"My family? You mean my wife?"

"No. I mean your family who preceded you in death. Every one of them. Your great grandparents. Your grandparents. Your parents. Your siblings. Your first love. Your best friend from high school. They are all here. But your heart must be open to this for you to be reunited with your family."

"How would you like me to be open to this? I don’t even understand what’s going on. I was buying water from a 7-11 and I wake up and I’m going up a friggin escalator that never ends! And then I reach the top and I see you waiting for me. You greet me like you know me and I have no idea who you even are."

"I am the greeter if you’d like to call me that. Sort of like at Wal-Mart but I don’t get paid for my services. What I do is out of love for humanity."

"Ok "greeter" I would like to talk to your manager if you don’t mind! "

"My son, you have failed my test. Count to three and wake up."

"What? What are you talking about? Am I dead or not? What the hell is going on here?"

"One."

"Two."

"Three."

"What the hell?"

14 comments:

JaneyV said...

Nice take on the Stairway To Heaven metaphor. A lesson to all that politeness costs nothing but rudeness can land you in hell. :0)

Sameera Ansari said...

Nice one.Politeness can indeed do one a world of good!

JR's Thumbprints said...

Wal-Mart greeters (or are they called associates?) get all the dirty jobs. At least this one is in control.

Lena said...

ohhh... that was surely a nice one.. good lesson!!

wrath999 said...

Interesting and enjoyable take. Nicely done

laughingwolf said...

holy hell on earth, rachael? :O

Rachel Green said...

Sweet :)
Take it on faith
!

Enchanted by Books said...

Thanks everyone!

Sarah Hina said...

Great last line! I don't blame him for being a little confused, though. ;)

Well told, and with a nice twist. Good work, Rachael.

Catherine Vibert said...

Nice ending. I wouldn't want the greeter's job thank you very much! :-)

Enchanted by Books said...

Thanks for all your comments! :)

Esther Avila said...

ewww....he should have accepted that first greet and looked for family. Interesting.

Anonymous said...

Great job with pacing, entertainment value, technical skill, storytelling, and voice! And welcome to the Forties Club!!

Thanks for being a wonderful part of the contest.

Enchanted by Books said...

Wow thanks Jason!! :) I am very happy about the forties club! That made my day.