Saturday, January 10, 2009

Entry #41

2009
by Canterbury Soul


Where am I?

Why am I here?

Who am I?

I gaze at the CNN TV. The newscaster rants about the gloom in recent history:

- 2001, 911 attacks; 2002 to 2003, SARS; 2003 to 2008, H5N1 deaths; 2004, Indian Ocean tsunami; 2005, Katrina struck U.S.; 2008, Sichuan quake, global financial meltdown. Now, more bad news. There are official reports of an unknown pandemic across the nations which confound medical experts with its agent – a neurological virus that can apparently inflict serious…

She becomes silent and appears baffled on screen. She takes stock of her surroundings for a while. She mutters:

- Wh…Where am I? Wh…Why am I here?

She stands and leaves the newsdesk.

I feel a tug at my sleeve. I turn to my right. A little girl is holding my hand. She asks:

- Daddy, Mummy, where’re we going?

- I don’t know her. Do you? says the woman next to her.

I have no idea who they are. I shake my head before observing the multitude. It seems I am moving in the same direction like the rest, up these escalators. I see armed soldiers with maroon helmets guiding the human traffic. I pull one close and ask:

- What’s happening? Where am I going?

- Do you remember anything at all? Anything?

I stare at him. He looks at me. There is a long pause.

- Yes. It’s 2009.

- Good. You are heading for hope, says the soldier, smiling.

19 comments:

JaneyV said...

AAAH! Scary Mary. This was chilling. We are all aware that a pandemic can rob us of our lives - what a great take to have it rob you if your memories. So much scarier than death.

Great stuff!

Lena said...

Interesting idea presented. Cant imagine not ever to remember anything about the closest people in my life

Anonymous said...

great stuff...chilling and scary.

Sameera Ansari said...

Very interesting take!

With all that is happening in the world,this does not seem that faraway a possibility.

JR's Thumbprints said...

I like the opening newsreport. We're probably due for a worldwide pandemic. Scary.

Rachel Green said...

Chilling. I feel sorry for the kid.

laughingwolf said...

just freaky, when one considers the probability :(

Sarah Hina said...

Very inspired take. It feels like a nightmare that they're just coming into...or out of.

Maybe we'd like to forget the last eight years. Maybe we can know hope. ;)

Patsy said...

That's frightening. Reminded me a little of Stephen King's novel, Cell.

Anonymous said...

thank you, Everyone, for your valuable comments!

peggy said...

hmmmm...so 2009 will be really interesting now, good stuff in here!

SzélsőFa said...

Elegant and creepy - I loved this one. I think we all have the fear of loosing memories of our nearest loved ones.

Anonymous said...

i wonder if we ever really know whaz goin on..even now...

Catherine Vibert said...

highly post (or during) apocalyptic! great job, I really liked this one. dark, creepy, and quite possible.

bluesugarpoet said...

Very Ray Bradbury-ish! It's a slice of creepy done well. - jana

Anonymous said...

Doom and Gloom - refreshing. There's nothing like a good end of the world tale to make you feel good about yourself - thanks for the memories!

Esther Avila said...

party like it's 1999 and die like it's 2009 -- yikes, it is!
This was chilling - and happening now! Nice work.

Anonymous said...

Great job with pacing, entertainment value, technical skill, storytelling, and pacing! And welcome to the Forties Club!!

Thanks for being a wonderful part of the contest.

Anonymous said...

Dear All, i appreciate your comments here.

Jason, thank you for everything! i'm honoured to be included in the Forties Club!