Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Entry #75

Escalating Life
by Arjun


My newly divorced, hence ex-wife accompanied me to the airport to bid me one final good-bye. As I was about to disappear for check-in, she asked me- “Would you meet me when you come back next year?”

“No” I said and appended “Maybe yes. Only if I’d have to celebrate ‘Independence Day’ on the 14th of Feb. Bye” I stepped foot on the escalator.

I noticed a pretty woman standing beside me as the steps propelled upwards.
“Are you single?” I enquired. It took her by surprise. I almost felt a garrote encircling my neck and the cackling of my neck as it drew tight, but then she just replied- “ Yeah. Very much.” She smiled, winked and continued- “How many kids you got?” I understood it was a joke, hence mustered a smile though I wasn’t exactly amazed.

“What do you celebrate on 14th Feb?” I raised an eye-brow.

“Independence Day” she winked.

“I’m startin’ to like you.”

“Hi, I’m Anne” she smiled.

We also learned that our aircrafts and our destinations were same. My life was certainly escalating on this escalator. I had a journey and a future to look up to.

As I slithered out of the escalator, I glanced back at my ex-wife, who I now observed was clapping hands and laughing loud with words- “ Feb 14th, Valentines’ Day. Haw haw ha”

I thanked god that I’d divorced her and then turned to the pretty lady and asked- “ Can I buy you coffee?”

17 comments:

Sameera Ansari said...

That's a good beginning,hope it works out :)

Nice one!

Anonymous said...

yup... liked it man...! hope it works out too! :)

Anonymous said...

moving on...nothing cn be better.
nice writing dude!

Lena said...

he moved on pretty fast i would say :D
hope it is here to the better future for all of them :)

RiverSoul said...

Nice one
:)
Loved it
:)

Tan said...

Hey Arjun,

What fast man? Well, fast and furious won here ... breaking all records ... wish them a happy life ahead ...

JR's Thumbprints said...

There's nothing like making up for lost time. Go for it dude! I liked the casual conversation of this piece, very authentic.

Anonymous said...

yes, the casual passing.. outta the fire and into the frying pan.. but, can it be?? something good.. why not!!

JaneyV said...

When you're done, you're done - no sense in hanging around I guess. I like your character's optimistic take and his willingness to embrace new opportunities.

Sarah Hina said...

Yes, it's never too soon to start making the most out of life. :)

I liked the flirtatious encounter with Anne and his eye toward the future. Nice job!

Pallav said...

hey, if he dates Anne that's no independence!

:)

N

Aniket Thakkar said...

Here are the five categories of female eligibility (In which me n my buddies believe):
AA: Absolutely Awesome (Ideal case.. doesn't really exist)
BB: Beauty with/Without Brains (Both are good in their own way)
CC: Cute Chick (One most ppl settle with)
DD: Damsels in Distress (Needs no description :-D)
EE: Erotic and Exotic Females

Seems your guy escaped a brainless beauty and caught a beauty with brains! :P

Great rad Arjun! :-D

bluesugarpoet said...

I like the twist on "independence day!" [and Aniket - your comment was a hoot; I got a chuckle out of that too] - jana

Catherine Vibert said...

Very fun with a lot of optimism. Would that it would be so easy in the world of romance!

BrownPhantom said...

Very simple and flirtatious. Don't let your wife read that :).

-Prashant Dhanke

Esther Avila said...

Very cute.
We all need something like this when things aren't going our way.
We have to believe - and after reading your story, I believe a little more.
Nice.
:)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for being a wonderful part of the contest!