Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Entry #77

Till Death Do Us Part
by Rashi V


When I saw them, I knew where he had got his looks. He had his dad’s smile and his mother’s eyes. But the mischief was all his. That is what I had fallen in love with. He had asked me to marry him 3 days ago. And I was going to meet his parents for the first time today. I remember him getting down on one knee having only the waves and the stars to be witness of our love.

My heart fills with emotion as I remember us going hand in hand to the local Leopold café to celebrate. It was the same place I had met my English man. He was returning home after 7 years and wanted me to come along. “Be my bride in white,” he said. I remembered how he gazed into my eyes and brushed the hair off my face. I remember being jolted back to reality with loud shots. From behind a desk, I remember seeing a couple of gunmen a few feet away. His arms around me, I felt safe. As the mob disappeared, I remember saying my prayers. I remember seeing his ashen face, the shock and sorrow in his eyes. I remember seeing the blood at his chest.

As I step on the escalator, to receive his parents at Mumbai Airport, I remember the promise of making all his mine. Suddenly, I hear a whisper, his voice, “ Not even till death do us apart.”

Soon, I’m going to England.

18 comments:

laughingwolf said...

brave soul! :)

Lena said...

awwww.... thats such a sad story.. wish she didnt have to lose him.
Well written!

Ello - Ellen Oh said...

Oh rats you made me cry! Well done!

jaz said...

Haunting.

Sameera Ansari said...

That was heart wrenching!

RiverSoul said...

Tragic yet beautiful.
Thank you for this story.
:)
Best of luck
:)

Tan said...

Good One Rashi ... With a Twist ... I like this ... Nice read ...

Best of Luck :)

JR's Thumbprints said...

I like the subtle message here: Anyone can be replaced.

JaneyV said...

So sad. I like that she determines to carry on. She carries him with her I guess. Great pathos.

Sarah Hina said...

A heart-breaking turnaround here. I would have thought he'd have wanted her to be happy. Very sad.

Interesting twist at the end. And the conclusion of your flashback scene was nicely effective. Good job. :)

Anks said...

We'll never know how many love stories were crushed that night... peace be with the departed souls and more so with the ones left behind...

a touching tale....

Aniket Thakkar said...

Very touching story... was in love with it all the way... Till 250 words did us apart! :-D

The Preacherman said...

Bloody hell!! That caught me on the hop.

Very emotional and emotive if I may say so.

Brilliant writing.

Can't fathom why everyone wants to come to England. Can't wait to leave the bloody place myself! ;-)

Anil Sawan said...

i cud feel the pain. Rashi, luvd it!

Catherine Vibert said...

Very touching...sad. Good job.

ceedy said...

That is painful...was it inspired by the current events in bombay?

Esther Avila said...

He will always be with her - I can sense that in the story.
Beautiful, sad story - good job.

Anonymous said...

Great job with pacing, technical skill, and voice!

Thanks for being a wonderful part of the contest!