Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Entry #154

I Chose the Wine
by Melissa Diaz


I chose the wine. Nothing fancy, just a sweet something to sip on while we were hanging out. Something perfectly suited for girly conversations about men and fashion, light and airy and not very rich.

Sherry was supposed to show up with a movie, one of her favorites 80’s chic-flicks that I’d never seen before. When I answered the door to her knock, all she had in her hands was a half-empty box of tissues. Her eyes were red and tears flowed freely down her cheeks.

“Oh, honey, what happened?” I asked rushing her into the house and kicking shut the door.

“He…he said…he can’t…he doesn’t love me anymore!” Sherry broke down on my couch, clutching a throw pillow to her chest as she spilled her story in broken sobs.

I moved the pile of bridal magazines off the coffee table and sat, trying to stay close and still give her space. Eventually, the tale of her fiancĂ©’s cold feet and indiscretion faded into silence.

“Could I get you something to drink?” I asked awkwardly after a bit, getting up and walking to the ‘fridge.

“Yeah,” she replied, “that might be good.”

I opened the door and stared inside, debating what to bring to her, to quiet her tears. I chose the wine.

15 comments:

laughingwolf said...

good choice ;)

Mona said...

she may need just that!

Laurel said...

Liquor is better. I'm just sayin'.
So glad the friend is not the other woman. Had my fill of those for the week!

Anonymous said...

First and last line sandwich a expertly crafted piece. Really love the flow of this one - natural and seemingly effortless, but with purpose and direction.

J. M. Poirot said...

good read! I enjoyed it! I agree, that last line is excellent. perfect ending.

JR's Thumbprints said...

In medias res ... nice, cyclical flash.

Deb S said...

I really enjoyed this. Well paced, and nice a natural flow to the prose.

Catherine Vibert said...

She might need a few bottles. You better get her some more. Sad story, and well written. I could see it.

Esther Avila said...

Wine it should be.... nicely done.

PJD said...

What a great friend. No judgment, no advice... just acceptance, sympathy, wine, and a discrete removal of bridal magazines. A wholly complete picture of the event painted in a small space. The poor thing. Thank goodness she has such a friend to lean on.

BernardL said...

Yep... good friend.

Aniket Thakkar said...

Great pacing. And the little details told so much about the characters.

Don't know why, but I get a feeling they are going to be more than just friends.:)

Liked it a lot.

Chris Eldin said...

What Laurel said. I'm also glad the friend wasn't the other woman!
Enjoyed your vignette!

JaneyV said...

Everyone should have a wonderful friend like that. I love the way you started and ended on the same phrase. it made it feel complete and perfectly balanced. I enjoyed this piece very much.

Anonymous said...

I hope the wine helps. She's a good friend. Very well written.

Welcome to The Forties Club!