Saturday, July 11, 2009

Entry #42

Ashes To Ashes
by Sandra Seamans


They gathered at sunset. Thirteen weary Immortals, coveting the freedom held in the depths of the Holy Grail. With the dawn, only two remained, the Grail tempting them with its blood red promise of redemption.

The others, after drinking from the Grail, had been reduced to ash. Their unbelief in the promise of Christ’s blood casting them forever to the four corners of neither here nor there. Gone were their eternal nights of walking the earth, thirsting for the blood of innocents.
Stutgard reached across the table, his fingers wrapping around the long stem of the Grail, slowly swirling the dark promise of life after death.

“Do you dare?” asked Vladmere.

“Oh, I dare. I’m weighting the option of an immortality I know against the gaining of a soul and thereby, entrance into an everlasting heaven that may or may not exist. I know there’s a hell. I’ve been living in it for a thousand years. But heaven? Such a mythic promise. I wonder, does it truly exist? To drink and believe in something that isn’t there is just as foolish as drinking without believing. Either way, the result is the same, a swirl of ashes tossed on the wind.”

“And either way, you’re free of the Vampire’s curse.” said Vladmere. “Does it matter if there’s a heaven to embrace your soul when you’re gone?”

“Only if I seek forgiveness from the God who cursed me to begin with,” said Stutgard, tossing back the blood of the Holy Grail.

23 comments:

Laurel said...

Oooh. Nihilistic vampires seeking mortality and redemption. I like it!

Nice take on the Grail, too.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Remorseful vampires, may they rise from the ash.

laughingwolf said...

what a remarkable tale :)

wrath999 said...

Great take on the picture. I always wondered if vampires were remorseful

alex

Aimee Laine said...

Philosophy as vampire. :) Cool!

Anonymous said...

Laurel always says so eloquently what I'm thinking. So....yep. what she said.

Aniket Thakkar said...

Jaye is so gonna love this.

I love writing fiction on Vampires, Werewolves and Greek mythology, so I absolutely loved this one.

The uncertainty of what lies beyond that gate is so very aptly described.

The dialogues have great conviction and that makes it a real strong piece.

Wavemancali said...

Excellent mix, I like this one.

Chris Eldin said...

A fresh take on vampires! I think Jaye's gonna like this one! I do...
Very nice!
:-)

Precie said...

Nicely done! And I love that ending.

The Preacherman said...

great story from an unexpected angle. Nice one!

Four Dinners

Adisha said...

Wonderful, thought provoking story :) Loved it !!

Catherine Vibert said...

Great story! I love that vampires can have redemption.

BernardL said...

Well written take on the wine glass.

PJD said...

So well written, such deep philosophy in so little space. It explains without preaching, and it keeps the plot and tension without losing the explanation. A difficult balance, well managed.

Cormac Brown said...

A wonderful new facet on vampire mythology.

Kurt Hendricks said...

I could see this as a movie - "My Dinner with Andre" meets "Underworld". Who wouldn't watch that?

illyria taylor said...

Winner for most original take on vampires. If we weren't in competition, I would've voted for you. It's fantastic!

sandra seamans said...

Thanks so much, everyone! This is my first vampire story, so I'm glad it worked.

JaneyV said...

Sandra I'm so glad you showed immortality for what it really is - a prison sentence. I think you managed to pack a fantastic amount of story into such few words. This was very good writing indeed. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Jade L Blackwater said...

I really like the existential considerations here - a weighing of the unknown so typical of us humans, vampiric and otherwise.

Paul D Brazill said...

Sandra, what a pleasant suprise!

Anonymous said...

Very interesting premise. And a hard choice. Cursed existence versus the risk of non-existence. Well done.

Welcome to The Forties Club!!