Saturday, July 11, 2009

Entry #43

Hot Under The Collar
by Jaye Valentine


I look out over the gathering of people, and despite the promise I'd made to myself to never let it happen again, my eyes are drawn immediately to one of them.

He's so beautiful. Blond, blue-eyed, soft-featured, and I've never seen any man that pretty look so goddamn good in a suit. He catches me looking, not for the first time, and as always I feel my face grow warm and my palms begin to sweat.

I quickly shift my gaze to some random spot in the cavernous room, the crystal goblet of dark red wine precariously clutched in my slippery hand. I curse silently, berating myself for these feelings I have that I can't control or push aside.

I can't stop looking at him. Thinking about him. Fantasizing about him in the most obscene ways.

I finally tear my gaze from him, look up toward the ceiling and lift the crystal glass. My voice sounds distant to my ears, disembodied, detached and disingenuous. "When the supper was ended, he took the cup. Again he gave you thanks and praise, gave the cup to his disciples and said, 'Take this, all of you, and drink from it; this is the cup of my blood, the blood of the new and everlasting covenant. It will be shed for you and for all so that sins may be forgiven. Do this in memory of me.'"

I drink and ask forgiveness, making yet another vow I know I'll never be able to keep.

15 comments:

JR's Thumbprints said...

You certainly gave this story the appropriate title.

laughingwolf said...

very well told...

wrath999 said...

Interesting and unique take. I enjoyed it

alex

Anonymous said...

Interesting. Female clergy? Male priest? The liturgy suggests Protestant to me, but the reference to vows may be Catholic.

If it is a priest, I like that the reason he can't be with the hottie in the suit is because of his vows; not because there's anything wrong with being gay. Then again, I'm part of a Christian community that accepts gay clergy, so I'm a little biased. :)

And I'm totally hung up on the subject matter - the writing is lovely, perfectly paced, right amount of detail, just deftly written overall.

Katherine Napier said...

This is the kind of writing I always enjoy seeing here. Not only was it an extremely well painted picture, but you never broke 1st-person-present. I love a nice mental twist.

Aniket Thakkar said...

Aerin pretty much dissected the post about the content and writing. So I'll just say ditto to her and thanks for providing us such a good read.

A unique and interesting take. Nicely done.

Chris Eldin said...

AHAHAAH! I LOVE being taken off guard!
This is truly talented writing. You knew exactly where to start, how to keep us going, and where to pull the rug out from under us!!! I very much enjoyed this piece!
:-)

Eric Beetner said...

Great misdirect! Well done.

The Preacherman said...

A randy female priest eh? Nowt wrong with that!

Really enjoyed this story very much.

Four Dinners

Catherine Vibert said...

Nice one, and an interesting take.

Tessa said...

This is a poised and well-judged work. Congratulations!

PJD said...

Ditto Aerin.

JaneyV said...

Aerin's comment is so on the nail I have to say a big "ditto" too. I got the whole Catholic thing though...

Jade L Blackwater said...

I like the way the final "vow" is more like a toast to good things to come! :D

Anonymous said...

What a potent struggle. Beautiful descriptions. She should give in to the purer compulsion.

Very high scoring!

Welcome to The Forties Club!!