Saturday, July 11, 2009

Entry #53

Memory
by Vic Pires


"There was something about him, something that drew me in." She should have stumbled over her words but they were clear and true. "It was like from the moment I saw him I knew I would follow him forever, no matter where he went."

Alia would've liked to believe that her words were the truth, she desperately wanted to believe it, but she knew her memories were tainted by a love that had outlasted centuries.

She remembered the revulsion she felt when he had handed her that first goblet of wine, the anger she felt as she caught the scent of the blood mixed in and the fear that lodged in her heart, the one that warned her of what they wanted her to become. It was easy to push the memories aside now. Now that love had taken over.

Today Alia had a different goblet in her hand and this time it's contents were pure. The goblet was merely a courtesy to her hosts, allowing her to drink alongside them without forcing them to watch the realities of her new nature.

She was once one of them before love had taken over and now she was part of the other side too. She had brokered the peace between her two peoples; the one she belonged to from birth and the one she chose. Now she was helping them to overcome their aversion to one and other the only way she knew how. With love.

12 comments:

laughingwolf said...

nicely done, vic...

JR's Thumbprints said...

This seems like part of a much larger work. You've got me wanting more, wanting to know which species she was born into and which species she chose.

Chris Eldin said...

I also get the feeling this is part of a larger body of work.
Sounds like it could be a very interesting story!!

Catherine Vibert said...

Vampire love? Just a guess. My curiosity is piqued as to where you would go with this.

Aniket Thakkar said...

Like others am left wanting to read more of it.

Nice vignette. Makes one wonder...

Sarah Laurenson said...

I'd read on. Well done.

BernardL said...

It would make a very intriguing hook to query with.

PJD said...

Love will conquer all.

(I'm on a youtube linking kick today, I guess.)

Unknown said...

Ooh, I'd like to read more of this - there feels like there should be more.
Evocative and intriguing piece of writing.

JaneyV said...

My first thought was "vampire" but by the end I was thinking extra terrestrial. I'd love to read the full story.

Jade L Blackwater said...

I especially like the theme revealed here:

She had brokered the peace between her two peoples; the one she belonged to from birth and the one she chose.

Worth developing further!

Anonymous said...

I sense similar issues as Red-Headed Stepchild. I hope she succeeds.

High marks for pacing.