Monday, July 13, 2009

Entry #98

Truth in Wine
by Kunjal


As I stepped in, I could hear the party music going on, the dancing steps and people greeting each-other. The party is thrown for me “the new superstar”. The party is supposed to be for people close to me and I am amazed to see the number.

It has been fifteen years when I first came to Mumbai, chasing the stars- dreaming to become one of them. Initially it looked easy with so many contacts and my dad to support my needs. However dad’s death changed everything and surviving became the priority. Friends look like an alien word. I was lonely but determined and continued the theatre along with the part time jobs. It has been long, but every wound feels fresh even today. Standing in the storm of people is making me uncomfortable.

People absorbed in the party looked like wolves, who howled at me and ready to tear me out.

My thoughts were broken by a sudden voice.

"Good Evening, Sir, drink for you”

“Thank You” I said to the waiter and took the glass of red wine.

As I looked upon the wine and people drinking it, all of a sudden I felt my blood and sweat being poured into it. I threw a glance around my surroundings and the next moment I slipped out in the darkness.

“What else can you say about a species that would not offer me food when I was hungry but offer me wine when I'm full, successful and a teetotaler”

20 comments:

The Preacherman said...

Fantastic imagery in this piece that leapt out at me. Well enjoyed this. Nice one old bean.

hahaha word verification - Cheers!!!


Four Dinners

Laurel said...

That last line makes the piece. Pithy.

Rohan said...

Beautiful!

Adisha said...

Enjoyed the idea behind it... Made for great reading .. Good job gurl !!

Aniket Thakkar said...

I agree with Laurel (only this once :P) the last line is the soul that drives the piece.

Nicely done.

Catherine Vibert said...

Man, I hate parties too! Great last line.

Sonia said...

Great piece of work. You really know how to weave tales out of things. SALUTE TO YOU!

laughingwolf said...

very nicely done, kunjal :)

JR's Thumbprints said...

Peer pressue can turn you into anything!

chong y l said...

ah, kunjal, I am like thee, a teetotaler ....my definition is chicky though: a person who drinks only teas:) Great last/lusty line.:) YL

Kunjal said...

thank you everyone:)
yes the last line is the soul thats why I weaved the story for it:)hope I did the justice:)

Unknown said...

Wonderful introspection, Kunjal and that last line just totally makes the piece. Good job!

Mona said...

truly ironic indeed!

PJD said...

People seem to believe that wealth and poverty are contagious. We celebrate wealth and spurn poverty.

BrownPhantom said...

Fantastic ending.
And very poignant point you put across really well :)

-Prashant Dhanke

Deb S said...

Ditto on the great last line!

Chris Eldin said...

I agree with everyone else about the last line--it's a clincher! Very thoughtful and philosophical piece. Nicely done!

Terri said...

Yep, you set the stage really well and then that last line really says it all.
Great finish.

JaneyV said...

Very moving piece Kunjal.

Anonymous said...

Wanting the adoration, then questioning it. This character is on a dark road.

High marks for pacing and technical elements.