Welcome to the 12th Clarity of Night Contest!! Before the post-holiday doldrums gain a foothold, let's get a little juiced up, shall we?
Here's how the contest works. Using the photograph above for inspiration, compose a short fiction (or poetry) piece of no more than 250 words in any genre or style. Send your entry to me by email at jevanswriter at yahoo dot com before 11:00 p.m., Wednesday, January 13th (Eastern Time, United States). I'd prefer attachments formatted in Microsoft Word (please see the format request below), but if you have something more exotic, you can paste the text into the body of an email (no docx formats, please). Each entry will be posted and indexed.
Now for the goodies. The following prizes are up for grabs:
- 1st Place: $50 Amazon gift certificate
- 2nd Place: $30 Amazon gift certificate
- 3rd Place: $25 Amazon gift certificate
- 4th Place: $20 Amazon gift certificate
- 5th Place: $15 Amazon gift certificate
- Readers' Choice Award 1st Place: $25 Amazon Gift certificate
But this is about more than prizes. I hope you take advantage of the opportunity to meet and interact with your fellow writers. Our different perspectives, styles, and skills shine when we all start at the same place. It's a great opportunity to learn from each other.
- 250 words maximum.
- Titles are optional, but encouraged. Titles do not count toward your word count.
- One entry per person.
- Any genre or style is welcome. If you choose to submit poetry, you must have narrative movement within the poem if you wish to compete with the prose pieces for the prizes.
- The copyright remains with you, the author; however, you grant me worldwide first electronic publishing rights to post your entry on this blog indefinitely.
- Judging will be conducted by me, Jason Evans. For an explanation of the judging criteria and scoring system, see A Note on Judging. You can also read the winning entries from past contests.
- Please provide a name for your byline. If you have a website or a blog, I'd be happy to link your site to your byline. If you don't have a website or blog, feel free to include a short bio. A bio does not count towards your word count.
- At the close of the contest, I will give the date and time for the announcement of winners.
- After the winners are announced, I will post what I liked most about each entry in the comments.
- The Readers' Choice Award is awarded by vote of the contest participants. The entry with the highest number of votes wins. The rules for this portion of the contest will be posted after the entry period closes.
- Public critiques in comments are encouraged, but must remain respectful. I reserve the right to delete comments and ban participants who do not abide by the collegial spirit of Clarity of Night contests.
- For prior contests and their results, see the links on the sidebar.
These are not rules, and I will not reject an entry which does not conform, but if you follow them, my work in running the contest is much less. For that, I will be eternally grateful!
- Single space lines, and double space paragraph breaks.
- No tabs or indents for new paragraphs.
- If you have italics in your text, please code it for html by putting a begin italics code < i > where it starts and an end italics code < /i > where it ends.
- Although it's rarely used, handle bold < b >< /b > and underline < u >< /u > the same way.
- Write your title at the top of the document left justified in title case (first letters capitalized). On the next line write your byline left justified (example, by Jason Evans). Add two blank lines, then begin your story.
Welcome to this latest contest! Entries will be posted starting January 6th.
Help spread the word!