Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Entry #100

I Can’t Live Without You
by P Kunal


‘I will never come back’. A home of love and forgiveness turned into a graveyard of memory; it didn’t behave the old way. Two people madly in love have become complete strangers.

How long can a man live with a stranger? Not longer than a train journey.

His mind loathed strangers. He took a break from the journey to nowhere.

On the escalator, he looked up, his mind looked back. He heard from the crowd. ‘I can’t live without you’. An answer to a question he forgot to ask himself from the time she was declared a patient of amnesia.

‘I am sorry!’ His heart meant apology and love. He looked up. He felt as though he stood on a path to ascension, back into her arms.

He took a train back. He couldn’t avoid grinning at her beautiful smile. Good memories are bad news for Time.

He flung open the door. Her name filled the air.

He sensed her disappointment in the room upstairs.

His trembling hands creak opened the door.

Thud!!! He fell down.

Her beautiful eyes were popped out. Her tongue apologetically hung.

Many hours later, damp eyes took notice of a letter on the bed.

‘ Before I forget how much I love you, how much trouble and pain I cause you everyday, before I forget that you have left me, before you come back and stop me from doing it. My ascension can’t erase you from my heart. I know I can’t be without you’.

13 comments:

RiverSoul said...

Beautifully written.
Loved it. Sad but beautiful.

What do you think of my story?

Sameera Ansari said...

That was sad but beautiful!

Love can be tragic indeed.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Again, escalators evoke memories of arrivals and departures. In this case, she truly departed.

laughingwolf said...

sad indeed :(

Lena said...

Very very sad.. love can surely be like that. But beautifully penned.

Margaret said...

Tragic and sad...

How love can cause such pain...

Well written.

Catherine Vibert said...

Very sad. Good job on the writing.

Sen said...

sad but beautiful...

jaz said...

This is such a great line:

"How long can a man live with a stranger? Not longer than a train journey."

How true. Nicely done.

Sarah Hina said...

This piece has a tragic, introspective feel, as a vibrant connection is almost worn away. I did love this line: Good memories are bad news for Time. Very true.

You pack a lot of emotion into your words, and the letter is a powerful conclusion. Well done.

bluesugarpoet said...

Tragic and beautiful love story!

jana

Esther Avila said...

amnesia - alzheimers - sigh.

This was so sad but beautifully written.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for being a wonderful part of the contest!