Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Entry #119

Liar's Glass
by Gef Fox


The flesh of my hand sang with pain. Tendrils of smoke wafted along the bottom of the glass, as Cassidy smirked from across the dining room table. Liar's glass. I had under-estimated her.

I expected the truth elixir, but she was still new to potions. I had drank enough in my lifetime to develop an immunity, anyway. Liar's glass, though—clever girl.

"So, you did kill my parents," she said.

I shrugged her words and the lingering pain. "As well I should have, my love. So long as they lived, you would remain rotting away under their rule. And we could never be together."

Her soft blue eyes turned hard, and she rose to her feet.

"My parents were tyrants, I grant you." She walked towards me. "But, you, Allesandro . You are so much more. So much worse."

I smiled and started to rise from my chair, to meet her halfway—as I had the night I cauterized her parents from her life—but I was frozen.

"What have you done, Cassidy?" I asked, unmoving. The unseen restraints held me.

"What you wanted of me, my love. I learned. Prisoner's Throne, I believe it's called." She plucked the knife from my plate.

"Cass, please. There's another way—"

"No more lies, Allesandro. Give my regards to my mother and father."

The cut was slow and deep. My life bled away. The smoke from the Liar's glass carried me to Hell like a chariot. Clever girl.

17 comments:

Laurel said...

This is fascinating. I totally want to know the backstory.

AND I love how you worked the photo into the opening.

Nice use of words, too, like "cauterized."

laughingwolf said...

damn, but that's well done! :)

Beth said...

This is a very unique piece of writing, and it makes me want to read more.

JR's Thumbprints said...

cauterized her parents from her life ... nice line. I think I'd've went with a different POV though.

Anonymous said...

A lot of stories about death and or sadness to go with this glass of wine.
But I am entertained

The Preacherman said...

I wonder whether men or women have done most of the killing in this competition?

The wife drinks a lot of wine.

This is now a worry....;-)

I like this very much.


Four Dinners

Catherine Vibert said...

Well I guess he had it coming. Although it make me wonder how he was a tyrant, aside from the parent killing thing. Both of them are kind of passionate in their bloodletting ways!

Aniket Thakkar said...

I was wondering on Cat's lines too,

I want a back story now. Coz they both seemed pretty cold blooded killers to me. Its like they were meant for each other. :D

At least he appreciated her cleverness till the end. A little therepy probably would have made him more understanding.

Girls these days, they'll kill but never take that extra step. :D

Okay, am just fooling around here now. I quite liked the piece. The language as mentioned by others was quite strong too. :)

Terri said...

I like the imagination in this story. It would make a great book but enough was written here to make it a complete story on it's own. Great use of words too.
Yep, all in all, well done :-)

BernardL said...

I believe he misread some signals. :)

PJD said...

Cat and Aniket, he is an intellectual tyrant. Egotistical and powerful, he holds his mastery over her head. His assumption is that she must love him because he loves her.

I love this from start to finish. The word choice, the smooth dialog and action, the innovative magic and the names you've given the spells. Really quite a satisfactory read.

Anonymous said...

Your world-building, especially in just 250 words, is peerless. As a fantasy uber-geek, I drool at the prospect of your future work.

Rabid Fox said...

Thanks for all of the feedback, folks. I really appreciate it.

JaneyV said...

I think this piece was pretty perfect.

Esther Avila said...

You reap what you sow. This was brilliant.

Anonymous said...

She's been too good a student, perhaps. The teacher falls. Well told.

Welcome to The Forties Club!

Rabid Fox said...

Thanks, Jason. The Forties Club?