Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Entry #128

You Used to Buy Me Wine
by Patsy Collins


You used to buy me wine.

You smiled and asked what I'd like. All I wanted was you, but I accepted the drink.

In winter it was rich and red, mulled with sweet spices. Warm and promising as a lingering kiss.

During spring we braved the cool air for that first taste of sun and of love. Crisp rosé, pink as a valentine's card.

In summer the wine was white and chilled. Poured into cocktails, topped with fruit and ice. As light as our mood.

Autumn was full-bodied and generous. Claret and burgundy, reflected in the fallen leaves we walked through as we made plans.

But you're gone now. The wine has drained from my life, the dregs bitter and dark.

I drink spirits, but they don't help me forget the pain or recall happy memories.

I drink beer, but do not feel the sun's warmth or winter's chill.

I drink cider, but don't taste the fruit or promise of the future.

The drink doesn't help, but I beg and steal for the money to buy more.

You used to buy me wine.

26 comments:

JR's Thumbprints said...

Fond memories are triggered by what is shared. The narrator conveys this nicely.

Kimberly B. said...

This was really beautiful. I love the pairing of wines and seasons, and admire your judicious use of detail. Nicely done!

Laurel said...

Pretty effect and the tying the wine to a lover and then to the seasons is a nice touch.

Catherine Vibert said...

I loved this one. Simple yet elegant and romantic, melancholic.

WV=diontyri even the computer is getting drunk on all this wine. :-)

aditi said...

I know how it feels, a season seems beautiful only by your lovers side...
My kinda writeup :)

laughingwolf said...

superb!

Peter said...

Good piece of writing that will be in the shortlist for sure! Well done!

Terri said...

This is beautiful, it tugs at the heartstrings and your seasonal descriptions are great.

Patsy said...

Thanks for all the lovely comments.

It is sad. I didn't intend it to be - maybe all that wine made me maudlin?

Mona said...

Great story. It shows us how truth about things( here the wine) is relative!

chong y l said...

Seasonal linkages -- well related.
For me, it's de months of may -- poetics and First of May recalled -- and september, that's when we Try to remember, the kind of September...Well done again, Che3ers, YL

Ranee Kaur Banerjee said...

A lyrical ballad! I like it very much. Thanks for the pleasure.

Patsy said...

Thanks very much.

Deb S said...

Nicely done. Such a melancholy vibe. Sigh.

quin browne said...

wine to mark the seasons of life and love. excellent idea.

BernardL said...

A sad accounting of time lost.

Anonymous said...

There's a lot of poetry in this competition that people have said is prose poetry, but yours is poetry prose - so beautiful!

Patsy said...

You're all very kind and have me blushing the same colour as that wine.

Precie said...

Beautiful. Sad but beautiful.

PJD said...

The first three comments say all that needs to be said.

You're all very kind and have me blushing the same colour as that wine.

Oh, aren't you cute! :-)

Aniket Thakkar said...

Simple, elegant and melancholic.

I liked it.

JaneyV said...

Beautiful, poetic, moving. Wonderful.

Esther Avila said...

I guess he never promised her a rose garden.
this was so beautiful and sad - I loved how you related the wine to the seasons.....
in the end, the pretty is replaced by alcoholism....
beautifully written. good work.

Patsy said...

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

That ending line had a lot of impact. Great metaphor here. Very inventive and clever.

Welcome to The Forties Club!

Patsy said...

Thanks, Jason.