Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Entry #148

The Portal
by Rebecca Bush


I remember the portal - an enormous, ragged piece of weatherworn boulder precariously held in place by the abraded long lost leg of Captain Hook. Intrigued, I walk over to see what lay on the other side. I ascend the rocky mound leading to it, painfully bleeding my tender feet. As I pass through the arch, a surge of electricity sends my body into paralytic spasms.

~ ~ ~

I awaken. I am lying prostrate on a floor in a room full of people. Smartly-dressed guests drink wine and champagne imbibing themselves into giddy oblivion.

The room’s walls are made of tempered glass and I walk over to see what lies outside – a black ocean crashing loudly against a white virgin beach.

The loud cracking of thunder announces a storm. Quite suddenly, torrential rains begin to pelt down onto the tempered glass walls and the guests laugh at their impregnable condition. The angry rain pummels the glass trying to obliterate the mocking laughter inside.

As suddenly as it had started, it stops. The crowd cheers in victory. It is now day and light filters through the glass walls fracturing faces into tiny little pieces.

A surge of electricity passes through me again.

I open my eyes. We are floating. We are in Space. Two moons standing sentinel - Phobos and Deimos? We have been abducted. We are alone. We are no longer part of life.

~ ~ ~

I awake.

Shit...no more tequila shots for me.

17 comments:

laughingwolf said...

yup, best stick with the medeira, m'dear ;) lol

Hoodie said...

Really wonderful imagery. I like the color and tone of this piece.

Some very great writing!

Laurel said...

Having had a tequila experience or two I concur. Never had one quite like that, though! You sure there weren't some desert fungi in that bottle?

Beautiful description.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Oh, but the worm in the bottle is worth the price of admission! Nice take.

Deb S said...

Bad Tiquila. Good imagery.

Terri said...

Great visuals!

Catherine Vibert said...

Hallucinating tequila dreams. Bet they have one hell of a headache now! Nice one.

Anonymous said...

Um...what do you mean "no more" tequila shots? Blasphemy, I say...

BernardL said...

Vividly done from Ahab to Space.

PJD said...

Ah ha ha ha ha

Well played, Aerin.

Too much of that tequila and soon you'll be riding on the Salvador Dali Llama.

Fun read. Love the leg of Capt Hook.

Esther Avila said...

Funny ending. I've known a person or two like her. :)
Great imagery - the black sea against the virgin beach - and the way people laughed at the torrential rains. Great writing.

Aniket Thakkar said...

lol@ Laurel: [Bites his tongue] This has to be one of the best comments in the contest. :)

I liked to see the mind go wondering here. Mine does that quite frequently even without the tequila shots.

Really good stuff this. :)

rebecca said...

laughingwolf: you think, huh? LOL!

Hoodie: Thank you on both counts. This piece was, in fact, birthed from a dream (and, no, it was not tequila-inspired!) :)

Laurel: Unfortunately, I can neither blame the tequila nor fungi for this piece...it's just the way this overimaginative mind of mine works...

JR's Thumbprints: Thank you! I can only imagine what type of dreams I really would have if I were to ever had a worm-ed tequila!

Deb S: Thank you! Like some hallucinagenic drug no?

Terri: Thank you!

Aerin: For sure!

BernardL: Thank you, but Moby Dick, huh? Eh, not so much....

pjd: Yeah, the part of Captain Hook's abraded leg is one of my favorite images of the story. Thank you.

September: Thank you! The black sea against the white virgin beach was another visual that I also like as well....

Aniket: Thank you! This little blurb of a story is what inspired my current WIP - a sci-fi novel.

JaneyV said...

I'm sorry but I have to side with Aerin. What would life be without a margarita??

As to your wonderful piece I love the way the protagonist moves through the scenes like she's passing through a wormhole. Very visual piece. Like it a lot.

Chris Eldin said...

Loved the visuals! Nice take on the photo.

Anonymous said...

A curiously original abduction. Maybe the aliens will be merciful and take some agave too.

Jaye Wells said...

Ah, tequila. Life (and dreams) would be far less interesting without it. Good job.