Friday, June 30, 2006

Winners Announcement--The "Midnight Road" Short Fiction Contest

My friends, I'm happy to announce the winners of the "Midnight Road" Short Fiction Contest! Before you scroll down (and I know you already have, LOL), just let me say that your writing has been amazing. There are many more deserving entries than can be reflected here. While winning is fun and rewarding, I hope you all have taken away something valuable from this experience. I think you'll agree we have proved the old saying, winning isn't everything.

1st Place--ELISHA BRIDGES, "JIMMY CRICK" (#42).
$35 Amazon gift certificate.

2nd Place--JOHN MCAULEY, "HOBOKEN HAIKU" (#16).
$25 Amazon gift certificate.

3rd Place--SANDRA SEAMANS, "CIVIC DUTY" (#26).
$15 Amazon gift certificate.

4th Place--JONI HAWS, "TUESDAY" (#49).
$10 Amazon gift certificate.

5th Place--ROY, ENTRY #47.
$5 Amazon gift certificate.

Honorable Mention--REBECCA SNOWDEN, "NIGHT BLINDNESS" (#51).

Honorable Mention--ANTHONY J. RAPINO, "I SEE THE LIGHT" (#21).

Honorable Mention--LINDA FORT-BOLTON, "THE IMMORTAL FLIGHT" (#33).



And now, for the first ever READERS CHOICE AWARD, the winner is:

Readers Choice--ELISHA BRIDGES, "JIMMY CRICK" (#42).
8 x 10 signed print of the contest photo commemorating the win.

First Runner-Up--JAMIE FORD, "ANYTOWN, USA" (#36).

Second Runner-Up--FLOOD, "THE MARKER" (#10).


Congratulations to the winners!! And let me give a special congratulations to Elisha for the double win. Your piece, "Jimmy Crick," transcended excellence. (If you are wondering, I did select winners prior to counting the Reader Choice votes).

Thank you again for such an amazing contest. During the its course, your writing generated 12,099 hits! I'm absolutely astounded! I was also very impressed by how supportive you have been. Not once did I have to moderate comments.

I hope to see all of you back here and on your own blogs. Drop me a note if you'd like to trade links. As I mentioned in the last post, my comments on entries will be posted over the next several days. Also, I will be providing constructive comments to those who ask.

One more thing, in a couple of days, I will have a very exciting announcement about the next contest I will be holding later this summer. You will not want to be on the sidelines for this one!!

Happy writing, and have a great weekend!

--Jason

23 comments:

Jaye Wells said...

Congrats to all the winners! Thanks, Jason, for all of your hard work.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the honorable mention and for having this contest. Can't wait to see what you've got for the next one.

P.S. I'd be happy to trade links if you like.

Anonymous said...

Congrats to all the winners! Especially Elisha. It was stark and fresh. You got my vote.

Thanks again Jason!

Anthony Rapino said...

Wow, congrats everybody! Especially a double congrats to Elisha, you had a great piece.

And thank you for the honorable mention, it means a lot among so many great peices.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to everyone! It was a real pleasure to read everyone's work, and thanks again to Jason for all your efforts. Cheers!...JLB

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, everyone!! What a great contest, Jason. There were so many great stories. It's amazing how much talent you gathered together. I can't wait for the next one. And thank you, this is the first time I ever placed in a writing contest.

Ginny Warth said...

Congratulations to the winners (especially Elisha), Honorable mentions, reader's choice and runner ups.

Mr. Evans, thank for holding this contest and I look forward to the many more to come :)!

Bhaswati said...

Congratulations to the winners--all truly deserving. There was never any doubt about who was going to get the first prize, though, was there? Terrific work, Elisha! Congrats to everyone else who won and placed, too :)

Thank you, once again, Jason, for doing this. I look forward to the contests you hold in future. They are such a great way to share and learn. Keep them coming :)

Scott said...

Yeah, that was no surprise to me either. Congrats to all.

emeraldcite said...

Congrats to the winners and everyone who participated. This was a great contest!

mr. schprock said...

"Jimmy Crick" was the right choice. What a story. Wow!

Thanks for holding the contest, Jason. It's like a public service you're offering here.

Flood said...

I voted for Jimmy Crick as well, so I am pleased to see it win.

Thanks for this, Jason, and I am looking forward to the next!

anne said...

Congrats everyone!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to all the winners.

And also to everyone who entered... it takes courage to put your writing out there for all to read and comment on.

I'm looking forward to the next contest.

Bernita said...

Delighted that my favourite picks were among the winners, but then I had so many.
Superior stuff, people!
Congratulations!
I'm sure it was a close-run thing for many entries.

Anonymous said...

Elisha, "Jimmy Crick" is THE best flash fiction story I have ever read - anywhere. It is so well crafted and the story is great.

All the winning entries were superb! Congratulations to all.

This contest, and all that it offered, was loads of fun!

Anonymous said...

Jason:To paraphrase Eastwood again, you made my day!
I had a great time doing this and it looks like everyone else did too. You throw a great party and I'm already looking forward to the next one. Thanks!

Elisha: Jimmy Crick. A masterpiece! One of the best flash stories I've ever read.

Anonymous said...

Hi everybody,

First of all, I am overwhelmed and astounded at the response Jimmy Crick has created. I never expected this. I am truly shocked, and gratified that others feel that Ellie is as real as I feel her to be.

I also have a confession to make -- Elisha Bridges is a pen name. I'm actually SF (Stephen) Johnston, a Canadian currently living in Holland (I managed to get an honorable mention in the Two Lights contest).

Thank you all for your support and kind words about my story. It makes the fact that I rewrote it at least 25 times (I'm not kidding!!)worth all the effort.

And a HUGE thank you to Jason, who impresses the hell out of me. My limited experience in the writing world has shown me that the dedication, energy, passion, committment to excellence and downright professionalism that Jason shows are very rare qualities indeed.

This, combined with the chance to receive and offer comments with everybody, made it a fantastic contest.

All the best,

SF Johnston

Linda said...

Congratulations to all the winners. :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats to all the winners - excellent choices, Jason! And thanks so much for hosting this - it was great fun, and an excellent way to discover new writers.

Joni said...

I must tell you all that this contest has been so great for me. I've been so impressed and inspired by the talent of all who contributed. I have never let ANYONE read anything I've written before, but entered this contest on a whim, so this was a real milestone for me. I never ever dreamed of placing. Thank you so much for the opportunity and the validation. Maybe I won't be so scared to share my stuff anymore. You're all great! And a special thanks to you, Jason.

Shesawriter said...

Congratulations to all the winners!

And Jason, congrats to you for running such a successful contest. :-)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the kind words, everyone!